Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford killing

Options
  • 27-11-2017 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Just saw this story on the six one where a Brazilian man was sentenced to 8 years for manslaughter. He committed the act in self defence after being attacked and racially abused twice by two coked up thugs, on his way home from working a night shift.
    To me this sentence is way too harsh considering the circumstances.

Comments

"Man given eight-year prison term for Waterford killing"

Read the headline OP ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"Man given eight-year prison term for Waterford killing"

Read the headline OP ffs

:o, Stupid concurrent sentencing:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They beat him twice but he seems to have got the 8 year sentence because he then went after them with a knife after they had left the scene.

Although the fella who died sounds like a right scumbag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They beat him twice but he seems to have got the 8 year sentence because he then went after them with a knife after they had left the scene.

If that's the case, this seems a reasonable judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

How is it? Poor brazillian guy with out a word of english who came here to work going in the door of his apartment is attacked by two thugs with numerous previous convictions high on cocaine (according to RTE news this evening) For the second time!

Yes he did go too far by going after them with a knife after by if that was you how can you say how you would react?

Should have been a susended sentence.Feel sorry for brazillian guy and his family,the other got what he deserved.

This is the gentleman in question

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/232185/violent-drug-dealer-stabbed-to-death-on-waterford-street/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Although the fella who died sounds like a right scumbag.

Agreed, and his buddy. I think under the circumstances the verdict and sentence was correct though as it went beyond self defense.

I felt sorry for the poor guy, he was racially abused and beaten twice by those 2 thugs but the judge said that it's the fact that he then went after them after that left him with no choice but to sentence him to 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Just saw this story on the six one where a Brazilian man was sentenced to 8 years for manslaughter. He committed the act in self defence after being attacked and racially abused twice by two coked up thugs, on his way home from working a night shift.
    To me this sentence is way too harsh considering the circumstances.

he didn't though stop misleading people

he went after them with a knife for revenge - the threat had gone so had the self defence excuse.

the provocation by the two "victims" is what saved him from a murder conviction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I wonder what the OPs opinion of this would be if the convicted was Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

gambithh wrote: »
    How is it? Poor brazillian guy with out a word of english who came here to work going in the door of his apartment is attacked by two thugs with numerous previous convictions high on cocaine (according to RTE news this evening) For the second time!

Yes he did go too far by going after them with a knife after by if that was you how can you say how you would react?

Should have been a susended sentence.Feel sorry for brazillian guy and his family,the other got what he deserved.

This is the gentleman in question

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/232185/violent-drug-dealer-stabbed-to-death-on-waterford-street/
    Raheen is in co wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

8 years for killing someone is maybe as low as a judge can get it, I'm sure he wanted it to be as short as possible, within reason. But he did it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

As the Poet DMX said. you don't start nothing ; there won't be nothing.

three years wou;d be enough i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

James Banville is no loss a drug snorting piece of **** but the judge had to take account of the Brazilians actions or it's a dangerous precedent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Your Face wrote: »
    I wonder what the OPs opinion of this would be if the convicted was Irish.

It would be exactly the same, he should have only been charged with producing a weapon. The incident was initialised by the "victim" who should therefore hold the majority of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That other guy who instigated the assault wasn't charged with anything. Doesn't seem right.

They must have run out of suspended sentences in the court.

Retaliation to being attacked should always carry a lighter sentence.

Retaliation to being attacked twice should carry an even lighter one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

That other guy who instigated the assault wasn't charged with anything. Doesn't seem right.

They must have run out of suspended sentences in the court.

Retaliation to being attacked should always carry a lighter sentence.

Retaliation to being attacked twice should carry an even lighter one.

It was a light enough sentence. He’ll be out in about 4-5 years (he’s served one probably because he couldn’t get bail)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

James Banville is no loss a drug snorting piece of **** but the judge had to take account of the Brazilians actions or it's a dangerous precedent.

Scumbag or not every life gone is a loss to someone.

McCrack wrote: »

Those scumbags who are attacking people can end someones life with one punch. The Brazilian lad made our streets safer if you ask me. Anyone who just goes around attack people for no reason deserve to be put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It would be exactly the same, he should have only been charged with producing a weapon. The incident was initialised by the "victim" who should therefore hold the majority of responsibility.

Are you married to him or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

Working night shift gives you a kind of jet lag and he was beaten twice. Poor lad must have had some adrennelin rush

Had the Brazilian a family to support here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

McCrack wrote: »

I agree, that's why I think it was right the other victim was also punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I am Brazilian and got disgusted by the result. The man just made a favour to the society. If I were someone in the government I would take all the children from those druged people and give it to right families. In Ireland the state protect to much the druged they have everything for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

worded wrote: »
    Working night shift gives you a kind of jet lag and he was beaten twice. Poor lad must have had some adrennelin rush

Had the Brazilian a family to support here ?

Says in the article that he has no family here. Just came over here to work. The judge acknowledged he was a hard worker. Awful waste of two lives really, although I have no sympathy for the dead fella. If you go around assaulting people (more than once in this case) then they might just fight back.

What is it with idle scumbags targeting night shift workers? I recall some poor Polish guy being assaulted and killed in Coolock a few years ago ''for the buzz'' by a gang of scumbags. They literally said that in court See here . What the fcuk causes people to be like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I feel very bad for the brazilian...he really had it tough. But how else are you supposed to sentence somebody who went out of their way to kill somebody? Laws have to be the same for everyone unfortunately. We can't just go around allowing murder if its somebody society doesn't like

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

And the problem is also that Brazilian government is so weak they really don't care about its citizens abroad, Brazilians are killed in Indonesia, Australia, USA, all countries and they do nothing, but a foreigner in Brazil is untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I hope he appeals and is let out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Omackeral wrote: »
    What is it with idle scumbags targeting night shift workers? I recall some poor Polish guy being assaulted and killed in Coolock a few years ago ''for the buzz'' by a gang of scumbags. They literally said that in court See here . What the fcuk causes people to be like that?

Complete lack of empathy I think, itself a consequence of poor parenting IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He has done the state some service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

wakka12 wrote: »
    I feel very bad for the brazilian...he really had it tough. But how else are you supposed to sentence somebody who went out of their way to kill somebody? Laws have to be the same for everyone unfortunately. We can't just go around allowing murder if its somebody society doesn't like

Why not?

The idea that every life is precious and no distinction should be made based on the character of the victim simply ignores the reality that some members of our society are valueless thugs whose presence only makes our country as a whole worse.

IMO seeing as we refuse to actually lock dangerous offenders away to protect the rest of our communities, having previous for violent offences should make a person worth less as a victim.

Maybe the idea that you could be beaten or murdered with little or no punishment by anyone on the street will be a better deterrent for criminality than our current failed system.

Advertisement