Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish airline with A380's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,185 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whatever Wamos do with the 747 in the ACMI market is what they're looking at here - the cruise business is specific there and unlikely to appear elsewhere

Mass evacuations and travel agent work for sporting events basically, on top of Hajj and Umrah (which is year round) work. If the frames are scrap otherwise and they can somehow justify enough work to keep crew with currency it might work but I'm very skeptical; particularly as the more experienced HiFly are going to be doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Seems more like a UK airline set up here no doubt because of lower corporation tax and Brexit.
    I love the way The Telegraph brands it an Irish airliner because 'no one wants its planes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If an airline leasing company does start scheduled operations with an A380, I'd bet a few quid they won't be operating from Ireland!

Also, I notice that Qatar isn't one of the 12 airlines that operate the A380 according to the article, were they forgotten or are they leasing A380's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Did they use the term “scheduled”, if it’s ACMI and that’s all it can be, @kub gave the perfect reasons why it could be based in ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Would EI contract in a few for heavy lifts, e.g. The Christmas exodus back to Ireland from places like NY and Australia, could damage the ME3 nicely without the commitment to owning and operating an actual A380, also do charter flights to places like Lanzarote during peak times to hit Ryanair hard.

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »
    Would EI contract in a few for heavy lifts, e.g. The Christmas exodus back to Ireland from places like NY and Australia, could damage the ME3 nicely without the commitment to owning and operating an actual A380, also do charter flights to places like Lanzarote during peak times to hit Ryanair hard.

Could an A380 make it direct from Ireland-Australia? If not, which I doubt it could to be honest, what's the difference between flying with them and flying with Emirates/Etihad/Qatar?

Also, I don't think Lanzarote can handle an A380 (in terms of stands), and the runway can be challenging for A320's at times in the winter! (Fuel stops in Faro aren't entirely uncommon!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Could an A380 make it direct from Ireland-Australia? If not, which I doubt it could to be honest, what's the difference between flying with them and flying with Emirates/Etihad/Qatar?

Also, I don't think Lanzarote can handle an A380 (in terms of stands), and the runway can be challenging for A320's at times in the winter! (Fuel stops in Faro aren't entirely uncommon!)

SYD to LAX or SFO and onto Dublin with Fifth freedom rights with an EI A380 would be my fantasy airline. PER to HKG to DUB would be my other routing.

Doltanian wrote: »
    SYD to LAX or SFO and onto Dublin with Fifth freedom rights with an EI A380 would be my fantasy airline. PER to HKG to DUB would be my other routing.

Fifth freedom rights in the US are virtually impossible to get aren't they?

In regards to Australia via HKG, you'll soon be able to do that with Cathay Pacific.

The thing that will prevent Aer Lingus from doing that would be that service would be much poorer than on any of the ME3 or Cathay (unless the A380 has a great fit out, unlikely for a hire-in?) and price point will be the ultimate decider!

Nobody will ever get new fifth freedoms in the US, they're OK with them inbound (e.g. the Etihad via Milan) but not the other way around. Fuel stop would be fine, but its dreamland regardless.

I suspect the canaries airports may not be capable of taking A380s easily and you would have to give seats away free to fill a 380 on those routes. If you wanted to compete with Ryanair on CASM you'd just use a 330.

I've seen Aer Lingus operating A330's to ACE as recently as last Christmas.

• Advertisement

I've seen Aer Lingus operating A330's to ACE as recently as last Christmas.

They operate them when it makes sense to, and they have one available. That doesn't mean theres justification to operate a leased in, all economy A380 at over 3x the capacity as suggested though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Id say we will see them on charters.

Rugby matches
    Religious celebrations.
    Christmas.
    Chinese new year.
    That sort of thing.

Lets hope they can get enough hours in the air to make sure they don't end up in a scrap heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

afatbollix wrote: »
    Id say we will see them on charters.

Rugby matches
    Religious celebrations.
    Christmas.
    Chinese new year.
    That sort of thing.

Lets hope they can get enough hours in the air to make sure they don't end up in a scrap heap.

And what are they going to do with them in between...?
    If they’re not operating they have to be in a storage program so they won’t be able to respond to short notice requests.
    Where are they going to park them?
    How are the crews going to keep their recency if they’re not operating?
    Where are they going to find the crews?
    We already know they’re going to be limited as to where they can operate to and from. The only opportunity I can see for them is as AOG cover for other A380 operators but how could they afford to sit around waiting for that call?
    The only opportunities I can see for those aircraft is to sell the engines, sell the landing gear, salvage whatever avionics and rotable components they can and then send the fuselage on a barge to Sligo for glamping conversion...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Not to mention DUB can’t handle A380

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

HTCOne wrote: »
    Not to mention DUB can’t handle A380
    Well it can if needed, just not on a daily/regular basis due to the taxiways.
    Dont forget that "too short runway"

Tenger wrote: »
    Well it can if needed, just not on a daily/regular basis due to the taxiways.
    Dont forget that "too short runway"

Can only depart off 28, and only land in 10, which is a fat load of good when the winds are 230/15G35 for half the winter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a shame that the A380 hasn't enjoyed greater success.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Can only depart off 28, and only land in 10, which is a fat load of good when the winds are 230/15G35 for half the winter.

Really Can you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭snotboogie

In theory it could. Dublin to Darwin would fall within the A380's range. I have no idea if Darwin can currently handle A380's but it certainly has plans to handle long haul flights to Europe in the future.

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    Really Can you explain?

Echo RET turns onto the bravos are too severe, they would need to be filleted, not hugely expensive but a pain in the arse to do as how would you protect the workers from taxiing heavies? It could be done when 10L/28R opens but that runway will have adequate taxiways already, and any potential Super would want that runway anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Echo RET turns onto the bravos are too severe, they would need to be filleted, not hugely expensive but a pain in the arse to do as how would you protect the workers from taxiing heavies? It could be done when 10L/28R opens but that runway will have adequate taxiways already, and any potential Super would want that runway anyway.

I think the aircraft could exit or enter at either end, the RET might be tight but the ends look ok.

I think that this is more a case of an aircraft owner wondering WTF they are going to do with their A380 aircraft once their leases are finished, rather than someone sitting down with a valid economically viable plan to buy these aircraft and do something with them.
    Malaysian airlines are supposed to remove their A380s from regular service next year and transfer them to a new unit that will do Hajj/Umrah religious flights, if this happens they will remove the demand for the Irish A380's for these types of flights.

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    I think the aircraft could exit or enter at either end, the RET might be tight but the ends look ok.

There’s wingtip clearance issues on the Bravos too, I should clarify I’m not based on DUB but my colleague in the tower swear that the aircraft can’t use the bravos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Even thought the Company have offices in Dublin, they may not necessarily base the aircraft in DUB.

There are no issues in SNN in regard to wingtip clearance or unsuitable taxiways. There's acres of parking space and no performance issues in regard to the runway. They also have history handling these aircraft.

Granted Shannon can and has handled A380's without significant issues, but would you even fill an A380 to anywhere from Shannon, even on a charter flight?

No one suggested that they would "Operate" flights out of Ireland, but that doesn't stop them from becoming an Irish airline doing ACMI.

AeroProfessional are pleased to be recruiting on behalf of our illustrious client...............
    ..............They will join our client who is based in Europe on an open ended contract basis for a minimum of 6 months. Our client is a well-established ACMI operator airline offering services worldwide..........

”Well established ACMI operator” seems to rule out a new AOC. Do Air Contractors operate ‘worldwide’?

Advertisement