Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and How to Get a Carotid Artery IMT Ultrasound Scan Dublin

Options
  • 27-11-2017 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Recently stopped smoking and am interested in[/FONT] getting a Carotid Artery IMT Ultrasound Scan.
    No issue just wish to find out artery condition, [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]whether the plaque is calcified or soft etc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]My research tells me about the benefits of “IMT Ultrasound”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]IMT Ultrasound is More Sophisticated
    Than Other Carotid Artery Ultrasounds
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    Officially termed “Carotid Artery IMT Ultrasound” (IMT stands for Intima-Media Thickness), this type of ultrasound is far more sophisticated and gives us far better predictive information than the more common type of ultrasounds that are advertised in the mail and newspapers -- the ones that come around in trucks to your neighborhood. This scan shows how much occlusion is present, but the report does not distinguish between soft and hard plaque--which can be critical information for treatment decisions, and they do not measure the all important arterial thickness or provide arterial age.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I see “Carotid duplex Ultrasound “ is available however where in Dublin can I find a private clinic[/FONT] that uses IMT Ultrasound ?
    Informed opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

mrtom wrote: »
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Recently stopped smoking and am interested in[/FONT] getting a Carotid Artery IMT Ultrasound Scan.
    No issue just wish to find out artery condition, [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]whether the plaque is calcified or soft etc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]My research tells me about the benefits of “IMT Ultrasound”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]IMT Ultrasound is More Sophisticated
    Than Other Carotid Artery Ultrasounds
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    Officially termed “Carotid Artery IMT Ultrasound” (IMT stands for Intima-Media Thickness), this type of ultrasound is far more sophisticated and gives us far better predictive information than the more common type of ultrasounds that are advertised in the mail and newspapers -- the ones that come around in trucks to your neighborhood. This scan shows how much occlusion is present, but the report does not distinguish between soft and hard plaque--which can be critical information for treatment decisions, and they do not measure the all important arterial thickness or provide arterial age.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I see “Carotid duplex Ultrasound “ is available however where in Dublin can I find a private clinic[/FONT] that uses IMT Ultrasound ?
    Informed opinions welcome

Hi,
    Most of the major Dublin hospitals have vascular labs and they are the best place to have a carotid duplex ultrasound. James's or the Mater public or private would be recommended but just make sure you are referred to a vascular lab and that your scan is performed by a vascular physiologist. The blackrock clinic also has a vascular lab. Carotid duplex ultrasound is part of the core practice of these professionals and they are experts in their area. The area is unregulated in Ireland so any radiology services in the private clinics can offer the same scan but quality varies widely.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mrtom

Appreciate good advice there, though no info on IMT Ultrasound ?

Appreciate good advice there, though no info on IMT Ultrasound ?

IMT just stands for intima medial thickening which is a measurement made during most routine carotid ultrasounds but not always. TBH its good as an indicator of overall arterial health and a marker of possible future disease but of limited use if you already have disease. And IMT had nothing to do with types of plaque and plaque morphology.
    I do IMT measurement multiple times per day as part of a routine carotid duplex and there is nothing special or additional about that. Its just part of the protocol in my dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭mrtom

xElDeeX wrote: »
    IMT just stands for intima medial thickening which is a measurement made during most routine carotid ultrasounds but not always. TBH its good as an indicator of overall arterial health and a marker of possible future disease but of limited use if you already have disease. And IMT had nothing to do with types of plaque and plaque morphology.
    I do IMT measurement multiple times per day as part of a routine carotid duplex and there is nothing special or additional about that. Its just part of the protocol in my dept.

Thank you for the direct & clear response to my question. You can see what Dr. Google does to the "innocents" like my self! In my case this procedure serves as a motivation to stay off the fags. I have contacted a couple of private clinics and am told their practice is to scan and if anomaly detected your GP is informed.
    I'm looking for a qualified person to sit down with me and interpret the detailed results and access my "biological Age". Preventative medicine still seems a novel concept. Thanks again for your earlier guidance thru the system.

Thank you for the direct & clear response to my question. You can see what Dr. Google does to the "innocents" like my self! In my case this procedure serves as a motivation to stay off the fags. I have contacted a couple of private clinics and am told their practice is to scan and if anomaly detected your GP is informed.
    I'm looking for a qualified person to sit down with me and interpret the detailed results and access my "biological Age". Preventative medicine still seems a novel concept. Thanks again for your earlier guidance thru the system.

Maybe try vascular screening in Mater Private so...I don't work in Dublin in case you think I'm advertising :) They do a screening of the carotid, aorta and peripheral vessels and then you have a discussion of your results with the consultant. Sounds like that is the part you are most interested in. Good luck! And well done on quitting the smokes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement