Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking down an inner wall

Options
  • 27-11-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Does anyone know of someone who can take down an inner wall to open up an area and remove 2 radiators attached to that wall.  It is a dividing wall.  And if anyone has got it done before what is the cost of doing this and the plastering and contacts please. I would like to get about 3 or 4 quotes.  This would be in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

I just got something similar done as part of a kitchen remodel.
    - Removed a radiator on one wall, this was done by a plumber and cost 120 euro.
    - Knocked down another (not load bearing) wall, which included relocating 2 light switches, disconnecting 2 sockets, and patching up the wall and ceiling (just plaster, not painting). That cost 500 euros and was done by my kitchen fitter's team. This was part of a much bigger job though so it might cost you a bit more if it's a single job...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bumble Bee2

Thanks MaudL.  That sound more realistic. Please can you give me your kitchen fitter's name and phone number. He sounds fair.
     I got a quote from a person that does renovations and they quoted 4.5k which I thought was very much over the top. I could tell from seeing him that he was just pulling figures from the sky without even thinking. I wanted him to fit my new kitchen but now I don't think I will use him.
    Would anyone know of good kitchen fitters? I would like my kitchen to be opened up with the dining-room, floors done in both the rooms. I'm looking to spend about 5k only. Do you think it's possible. That's without the appliances as mine are still new. And where can I get a good kitchen that is not too expensive?

It is a divider wall. I think the big job would be to remove the radiators?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is it a load bearing wall?

Are you hoping to include the price of a new kitchen and floors in the €5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Graham wrote: »
    Is it a load bearing wall?

This is the key question.
    If it is load bearing it means it is holding up the floor above your head. In order to take this wall out you need to put in a steel beam (resting on a sound structure on each end) in place of the wall to hold up the floor above.

Nobody will do this for 500 euros.

• Advertisement

No this is not a load bearing wall. It is just a wall dividing the rooms. There will be no need for a steel beam across. 5k was for the kitchen and removal of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

No this is not a load bearing wall. It is just a wall dividing the rooms. There will be no need for a steel beam across. 5k was for the kitchen and removal of the wall.

Can you confirm what exactly the 5k is to cover? A new kitchen, its installation, taking the wall down and making good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't forget you will have to make good the floor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

looksee wrote: »
    Don't forget you will have to make good the floor too.

and the ceiling!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Without knowing the material used in the house construction, you cannot make that call.
    If its a TF house it may not be load bearing but may be part of the stability structure

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement