Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring home internet connection?

Options
  • 27-11-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

This ties into iot & home automation.

Does anyone know of any way to monitor my internet connection at home as it appears to have gone down a couple of times today.

Obviously looking for some sort of alert system as there’s various thins that run that I like to monitor that depend on a connection.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do you have a computer always on to run a script from? Should be easily possible to find a script someone else has, or to write something yourself. A raspberry pi would be a good device to use if you had one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agreed.

Something to constantly ping the exchange, there will be something free they you'll find

Nest smoke detectors are ok for this you get alerts etc and a report that shows a loss of connection

Some inturder alarm systems will do it too by polling a central station and alerting you via a GSM text that the internet is down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://atlas.ripe.net/get-involved/become-a-host/

Register for a RIPE Atlas probe and you might be lucky and they'll send you one (free)

Collectively they actively measure Internet connectivity but it will also email you when your internet goes down.
    Dear Standard Toaster,

Your probe 12345 has been disconnected from the RIPE Atlas infrastructure since 2017-11-25 10:44:43 UTC.

You may be able to learn more about the possible cause from the "Status" tab on your probe's information page:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

I depends on how far you want go do in this space, I've used https://www.domotz.com/ for a while installed on a Synology NAS. The paid version is very powerful that does monitoring and alerting. For example it monitors your internet connection, your d/l, u/l speeds and the connectivity of your individual devices. I was able to use it to show that one of my LIFX bulbs was malfunctioning.
    Having said that I have a terrible time with them recently as their package for Synology broke and it took them 2 months to fix it!

Out of interest how do you know your internet connection is dropping? Do all devices lose connectivity or a subset, one thing that is often missed with IOT is that the routers given by virgin et al (particularly older ones) have a limit on the number of devices connected at any particular time. This can lead to devices losing connectivity.

I'm going to be building my home network with Ubiquiti gear which comes with this type of monitoring as standard (not sure about alerting), if you're interested some great blog posts on this are https://www.troyhunt.com/tag/ubiquiti/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Home Assistant has built in components that can monitor your network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement