Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10+ years Experience and no degree

Options
  • 27-11-2017 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys

I have no idea if this question has been answered or not but I hope somebody can help me out.

So I have been working in the IT Industry for the past 12 years working with Apple and EMC for the bulk of my experience. I wanted to know if there was any college or online college that could use all my experience towards getting a bachelors degree. I would love to try and get a job in the US or even Australia but not having a bachelors is my main issue, I really do not have the means to fund 4 years distance learning at about €850 a module I have a young family and we want to try and move if we can, Herself can get a job no issues since shes a qualified Nurse and a Midwife but I have no degree so moving is not very easy even when I'm more than capable of doing the jobs. Thanks for anyone commenting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The simple answer is yes, you could use some of your experience towards getting a degree.

However, nobody is just going to hand you a degree because you have 10 years experience. You would possibly get exemptions from year 1 and maybe some of year 2, depending on the subjects and the details of your experience.

I assume you are in Cork? Give the Admissions Office in Cork IT a call and see what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 imacboy09

Thanks lads, I'm now living in Wexford working in ERP software, basic Java script and tech support for the company, moved about a year ago after the layoffs from EMC, I need to try and give some ITs a call or even call London Uni so see if I would auto complete modules due to my work experience. I would need to do distance learning as I can do that from home easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could always think of qualifying after moving. I’ve a friend who married an American woman and moved there with two first years and two second years of an arts degree. A computer nerd of the highest order, he got plenty of work in repair, maintenance and support roles. After a few years he began to do some p/t teaching, and the school suggested he apply to have his previous experience, both educational and employment, recognised for an equivalency diploma of some sort. Didn’t cost him very much at all.

Not suggesting you should follow this meandering route. But there’s more than one way to skin a chicken! If emigration is the right move for your family, think of different ways to get where you’re going.

Ya, I mean if I can get an accreditation for the first 2 years officially recognized from a college that would go a long long way as I can try and also get the equivalency diploma in America and that would allow me get a H1 Visa if I get offered a job state side,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

One word of caution, while distance learning may sound great, it's not for everyone. The isolation, the lack of human contact, the frustration and the confusion all take their toll on the learner. Ironically, research shows that those who have already completed third level and have a particular aptitude for learning are he ones who excel at distance learning. The research suggests the converse is true for those that possibly need it most.

IT Sligo are considered the leader in online education in Ireland. Just another point, IT Carlow have a campus in Wexford.

IT Carlow have a campus in Wexford but its mainly geared towards Business side of things but ya I will get in contact with them also

Advertisement