Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car impounded the day I sold it

Options
  • 27-11-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice.

I sold a car for cash on the 2nd of November.
    I got a letter from the impound company saying it was impounded on the 2nd of November, same day.

The car was obviously still registered to me when it was impounded. I sent the tax book off the next day (3rd of Nov) so the ownership of the car has changed. I have verified this on motortax.ie. I also have a picture time-stamped of the tax book signed at the time he purchased the car off me.

Can someone tell me will I be liable?

Kind Regards.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should contact Shannon to be 100% certain but short answer is no, the car was already sold at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sausagekayak

biko wrote: »
    You should contact Shannon to be 100% certain but short answer is no, the car was already sold at the time.

Ok thanks, Ill ring Shannon. Is it ok to ignore this letter or should i contact someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ok thanks, Ill ring Shannon. Is it ok to ignore this letter or should i contact someone?

I would contact someone and make a note of the time of call and the name of the person to whom you are speaking. Nothing better than having a paper trail like that to back up your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 w0bbles

I would contact someone and make a note of the time of call and the name of the person to whom you are speaking. Nothing better than having a paper trail like that to back up your situation.

Correct: Record and document all conversations, In six months time if you receive a bill and you cant remember what you had for breakfast yesterday morning it becomes a problem.

Buy a paper folder, put all letters and correspondence into it and keep it safe for about 12 months.

Better to be safe than sorry, Im speaking from experience!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This post has been deleted.

+1 OP, the worst case scenario is that the car gets crushed or sold at auction, neither of which will cost you a cent.

Was it impounded for a serious parking offence like it was parked in a clearway? It might be no harm to alert the new owner so he knows where it is and can get it out. If it's there because it was seized by the cops while someone was driving it then I'd do nothing.

Advertisement