Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee for Electrician

Options
  • 26-11-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am looking for an electrician for minor repair work, a couple of sockets that sizzle when being turned off, a light that no longer comes on, etc. probably only a half day's work at most. I have got a quote for 'minimum of €240'. is this reasonable, what should i expect to pay for a job like this? I live in the midlands

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FashMash wrote: »
    I am looking for an electrician for minor repair work, a couple of sockets that sizzle when being turned off, a light that no longer comes on, etc.

This could be very simple or could be quite involved.
    probably only a half day's work at most.

With all due respect how are you calculating this?

To answer your question, €240 is not unreasonable for a call out + 4 hours work.

From an electrical contractor's perspective small jobs are not very profitable and there is a lot of demand for electricians at present. An electrician could drive for out to you spend an hour or two assessing the work only to be told that they are too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Stop using the sockets that sizzle.

€240 sounds cheap compared to the hassle you'd have if your house burned down due to an electrical fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

More important than price is quality. I'd keep away from "Handymen". I'd ring three electricians for prices & go from there.

Price doesn't look expensive from here in Dublin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP that sounds reasonable to me too. There's VAT on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

3 sockets replaced 15 mins max. Light not working could be a few different things but given the minimum price sounds expensive.
    If i were you i woukd replace the sockets yourself if you think you are able. Possible replace the light switch and bulb too. If that doesnt fix it open tbe light fixing to see if any cables loose, its likely something easy.
    If you turn iff the main breaker before all this and check with a phase tester screw driver or dvm you will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

3 sockets replaced 15 mins max.

Perhaps, but without seeing the sockets how can you be sure that replacing the sockets will mean that they are safe and compliant with the regulations?
    Light not working could be a few different things

So you have no idea what is wrong with lights either?

If i were you i woukd replace the sockets yourself if you think you are able. Possible replace the light switch and bulb too.

Possibly or possibly there is more to it.

Let's not forget that a call out fee would be normal for any qualified tradesperson to turn up.
    If you turn iff the main breaker before all this and check with a phase tester screw driver or dvm you will be fine.

For safety reasons "phase testers" are banned from most sites.

This seems like the "handyman" approach that the OP was warned about above. A handyman with a magic phase tester may or may not resolve the issues which may or may not result in a far more serious situation developing. Unless you are electrically competent it would be best to get a professional in who is up to speed with the regulations and can certify the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2011 wrote:

I laughed at the phase tester part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

15mins max to do 3 sockets? Any decent electrician will make off the connections and test....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

How old is house any newish house shouldn't have socket sizzling so could be a big job

2011 wrote:

The phase tester would be only to test for dead not trouble shooting.
    These are not complicated problems so trying to justify a large bill is just wrong in my opinion.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote:
    So you have no idea what is wrong with lights either?

There are not alot that can be wrong with a lighting circuit to be fair change a dew components will likley fix is for any amateur other than that toy are looking at cable

2011 wrote:
    Let's not forget that a call out fee would be normal for any qualified tradesperson to turn up.

Im trying to save the op this cost not add costs like to certify replacing a few sockets.

kerryjack wrote:
    How old is house any newish house shouldn't have socket sizzling so could be a big job

Could be as simple as a loose connection and likely is

The phase tester would be only to test for dead not trouble shooting.

You have completely missed the point.
    This is not a safe way to test if something is dead!
    Enough said.

On that note I think it is time to close this thread.
    The OP can make his own mind up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement