Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree with hole at base

Options
  • 26-11-2017 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi,

Hope this is an appropiate place to ask this question - tree on a bit of land beside me was moving an awful lot during Ophelia. I only managed to check it today and I found that it has a sizeable hole at the base.
    Just getting confirmation that this is something I need to get a professional to look at asap? Reaching out to my local council to see if they can assist - the tree is on a wooded area next to me, not sure who owns it.

Any comments / advice (non-legal i know) would be appreciated. This is hardly something I need to evacuate my home for (at the risk of sounding dramatic)?

Thanks!

Pics attached

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It looks like a Beech tree from its bark, Beech would often rot at the base, resulting in it being hollow inside, are there any flat white fungal growths on the base of the tree, known as "bracket fungus" another sign of a hollow tree.
    How close to your house is the tree, are the branches overhanging your property, if so you can cut them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It very difficult to assess the trees from a small photos like that. If you feel that if the trees pose a danger to you or your property it would be best to get them assessed by an insured arborist. He/she will give you all the information you need along with a written assessment.

This arborist can do the assessment for you or point you towards your local insured arborist:

http://www.goodwin-arborist.com/

You will need the tree owners permission to carry out any works on these trees and/or discuss costs or the sharing of costs. The only legitimate works that you could carry out without permission are the removal of branches that overhang the boundary of your property, (not big branches as that can lead to serious avenues if decay into the tree) providing such works did not lead to the demise of the tree or other subsequent negligence.

If it is difficult to find the owner then do a land registry search to get the information.

The council could only intervene if the trees were adjudged to be dangerous and are adjacent to a roadway causing a potential hazard to roadusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Thanks guys.

No fungal growth from what i could see so hopefully thats a good sign. There isnt any overhanging branches - it's a big tree that is growing slanted pointing towards the gable end of the house and is kind of propped up by another smaller tree.

I emailed a local councillor as its a small wooded area adjacent to the estate (i am end of terrace) to see if he can provide assistance. According to the land registry, its still registered to the company who built the estate and who are now dissolved. It's definitely not being maintained anyway.

If the council cant help I will get an arborist as suggested to do an assessment and try and work from there.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That looks dangerous to me.
    If it was within reach of my house, and giving the situation with the wasteland/corner of housing estate, I would get a tree surgeon to take it down. Preferably with a good big winch attached high up to make sure to falls into the waste area. Those trees can crumble or turn or spin round when you start cutting (and you do say it is already leaning towards the house)

Go to the Co. Council offices and see can they find an owner first.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Quick update on this - I emailed the council last Friday and they got back to me yesterday. After a brief discussion it turns out the land is under their control and they are going to send out an arborist to assess the tree in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement