Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior woodwork colour

Options
  • 26-11-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

we Have a painter coming next week to paint a couple of rooms in our house, as well as the hall and landing. He’s doing woodwork and walls. We’ve been replacing doors, skirting and architrave room by room as we do the place up
    Our doors are walnut, and the new woodwork that’s been done so far is white, which looks well against the walnut. Not much of the skirting and architrave has been painted thus far.
    The rest of it is finished now. The stairs is being painted too. I had a dream of sanding the stairs down and painting it, and putting down a runner, but it’s probably too labour intensive, realistically.
    I’m wondering though if painting the bannister and spindles etc brilliant white like the woodwork will be too white? But if they’re painted a different colour will they scream at the rest of the woodwork?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We had the same dilemma. Walnut doors, white architrave bog standard pale varnished spindles/bannister.

The plan was to pain the spindles white and dark-varnish the bannister.

Painter misunderstood and painted the whole lot white. We definitely thought it was too much white.

Eventually we got the painter to repaint the bannister to make it look like a dark-varnish finish almost the same colour as the walnut doors. Much better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ours is already white, but it’s white gloss, about a million years old, so it’s grubby and dull. The full stairs is carpeted currently, but that needs to be replaced. Ideally the stairs wouldn’t be white, but an off-white or ivory, but I suppose that would look silly if everything else is white white!
    I’m probably over thinking it really

Advertisement