Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameStop+ Program ?? What is it ??

Options
  • 26-11-2017 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Today I went into trade some games and the employee said would you like to sign up for GameStop+ and I agreed

He told me he put the 10 euro (in store credit from the traded games) on the loyalty card, he also said that he put an extra 10 euro on there because I traded in games but I didn't quiet understand.

So what do this loyalty card do for me ?

How dock link my GameStop account with my card ?

Can I spend the money on GameStop online ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mingo635 wrote: »
    Today I went into trade some games and the employee said would you like to sign up for GameStop+ and I agreed

He told me he put the 10 euro (in store credit from the traded games) on the loyalty card, he also said that he put an extra 10 euro on there because I traded in games but I didn't quiet understand.

So what do this loyalty card do for me ?

How dock link my GameStop account with my card ?

Can I spend the money on GameStop online ?

Well if you use the loyalty card, it helps Gamestop rip you off, that's about it mate.

You would have got more money/credit for your trade in going into CEX.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mingo635

nix wrote: »
    Well if you use the loyalty card, it helps Gamestop rip you off, that's about it mate.

You would have got more money/credit for your trade in going into CEX.

:rolleyes:

I thought about going to CEX but I didn't think there would be much in the difference

They are the best out of the lot, by far, Smyths and Gamestop are woeful for trade ins, you would likely get double for your trade in with CEX.

For trading in's go CEX or try resell the game yourself, adverts.ie is handy.

For buying games go to Argos or if you're not in a rush buy online, Smyths is ok for buying games sometimes to..

Gamestop are terrible for everything, once in a blue moon you might see a game for a decent price, its never a new release though, im baffled as to why people shop there, i only go in there for ideas of what to buy elsewhere.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cex is good for trade ins. Best price most of the time.

Gamestop usually is really bad, but now and then they have some good deals.

Just recently gamestop did xbox one controller deal, I am pretty sure it was a major boo boo by someone in hq. Trade in any 2 games and get any xbox controller for 10eu. Thats right, I gave forza 6, battlefield 4 and some other game. The lad at counter was very cool and sold me fifa 16 for 99cent, that I traded in back for controller. So 2 controllers for 21eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

AFAIK Smyths do not accept trade ins on games on any system or consoles. Was told this last week in my local store by the big boss man.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    AFAIK Smyths do not accept trade ins on games on any system or consoles. Was told this last week in my local store by the big boss man.

Must be a recent thing, they did at the start of the year, i had never tried to trade in with them before, just always used CEX, but one day i decided to compare the 3 stores, CEX, gamestop and Smyths.

It was horizon zero dawn, i got it around release time and finished it quick to trade it in for maximum cash back, i went into gamestop and smyths on henry street, both were offering less than €20 cash for it which is an absolute joke as they will both sell it for €60 or more. So i went with the usual, CEX and they gave me around €45 i think it was for it, which was great because i think i only paid €50 for it :D

Come to think of it, i was in Smyths in Navan last week and they were selling pre-owned games, so they're either phasing it out or the manager you spoke to made a mistake, either way, just go to CEX :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Must be a recent thing, they did at the start of the year, i had never tried to trade in with them before, just always used CEX, but one day i decided to compare the 3 stores, CEX, gamestop and Smyths.

It was horizon zero dawn, i got it around release time and finished it quick to trade it in for maximum cash back, i went into gamestop and smyths on henry street, both were offering less than €20 cash for it which is an absolute joke as they will both sell it for €60 or more. So i went with the usual, CEX and they gave me around €45 i think it was for it, which was great because i think i only paid €50 for it :D

Come to think of it, i was in Smyths in Navan last week and they were selling pre-owned games, so they're either phasing it out or the manager you spoke to made a mistake, either way, just go to CEX :)

When I bought xbox one bundle with battlefront 2 in Limerick smyths I asked if I can trade in the game, but I was told as well, that they dont do it anymore. So smyths are definitely out. Cex is best to trade in right now unless gamestop doing some deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The benefits only really show themselves if you're level 3 (which you can buy for 20 squid, and you need to have a minimum amount of carrots to stay on level 3, which you get from buying/trading). I traded in HZD and wanted to pick up something else that was just out. CEX were offering me 45, but with the Level 3 GameStop card, I got 40 trade value, extra 50% as I was trading against a certain game, and 10% for being Level 3. I ended up paying about 3 Euro for a 70 quid game! That's where it's useful.

That's where it's useful.

Hard to tell, whats the frequency of them ripping you off to get to those benefits exactly? You're paying for the card to start which is a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hard to tell, whats the frequency of them ripping you off to get to those benefits exactly? You're paying for the card to start which is a bad sign.

You don't have to pay, I just did as I was flush at the time.

Let's say that you bought a full priced game, 75. If you trade that back in within the first few weeks, with the level 3 card, you will usually get nearly 50-60 off the next one, with some new releases having bonus trade in on top of it.

I don't get the extreme hatred for GameStop. Yes, they give less than other places, but I find good deals with them quite often, and the card is a bonus.

• Advertisement

I don't get the extreme hatred for GameStop. Yes, they give less than other places, but I find good deals with them quite often, and the card is a bonus.

Well they charge €15-20 more for games, that's why i hate them :pac:

For example:

https://www.gamestop.ie/Playstation%204/Games/62073/assassins-creed-origins

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7067462/Trail/searchtext%3EASSASSIN%27S+CREED+ORIGINS.htm

Thats a €28 difference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

You don't have to pay, I just did as I was flush at the time.

Let's say that you bought a full priced game, 75. If you trade that back in within the first few weeks, with the level 3 card, you will usually get nearly 50-60 off the next one, with some new releases having bonus trade in on top of it.

I hardly ever buy games in Gamestop as their prices do be ridiculous. I do find them quite competitive for console bundles though. I got my PS4 Slim and my PSVR there, they were the best price for the former and I paid the RRP for the latter when CEX were selling used ones for €200 more than the RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Bought 2x PS4 games from Gamestop online over a month ago and no sign. (Supposed to take 3 working days for delivery.) Emailed them twice about it and still no response. Great service! :mad:

Advertisement