Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Up An Extra Subject in 6th Year?

Options
  • 26-11-2017 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey all, finally into a studying routine , always been naturally bright enough so I'm going well, doing English, Maths, Physics, Applied Maths, French, Business and DCG at higher level with Irish at ordinary (which is a piece of cake if you did JC higher) and I don't consider Applied Maths an extra subject for me since I don't really bother with Irish :p. I am confident for my points in Maths,Physics, Applied Maths, French and Business :D. My English teacher said I can get a h1 :eek: , but in my opinion that all depends on the paper. I really don't like DCG either but I suppose I've never given it a proper try, I can only do one long question (dihedral angle) fully. Now DCG will be a lot of effort for me considering I dossed around in it in 5th year but I got an A in JC TG mock and ended up getting a B in JC. My question is: Is there any subject that is relatively easy to get a h1 in that I could pick up at this stage or any subject with a short course to cover? I've heard economics is very doable in a year and I have an interest in it anyways?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you really need another subject? You seem to have everything very much under control. It's possible an extra subject would adversely affect your others, in terms of time you could allot them etc..

That said, many on this forum claim Economics is a subject which can easily be done in a year, though I am not sure how the SEC have not noticed this discrepancy, if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

I'm just a little worried like I don't count Irish as a subject so I'm really doing 7, 5 of which I'm fine with for points. In English I'm fine for poetry, single text and comparative (Doing a slight variation to the rest of my class) and I'm just worried that lets say in the composing section of paper 1 that no essay title will suit me and that would prevent me from doing as well as I can if that makes sense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I see. You want to be sure to be sure, but honestly, your English teacher knows your ability. If they say you can get a H1, you can. Read lots of short stories and call on one of them for inspiration no matter what topic comes up.

I don't think doing an extra subject is necessary, but if you have an interest in it, I suppose there is no harm, but make sure the school enter you for the exam if you intend to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

How many points are you aiming for? In my opinion you'd be mad to take up another subject at this point, remember only 6 are counted

well I would love 625 but I'd settle for 580 lowest , that's based on teacher's predictions, being labelled 'bright' and 'smart' from a very young age and based on my academic record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

Celtron wrote: »
    well I would love 625 but I'd settle for 580 lowest , that's based on teacher's predictions, being labelled 'bright' and 'smart' from a very young age and based on my academic record

Your more likely to get them high points if you focus on the subjects your doing at the moment. Adding subjects is only going to lower your points in my opinion

Thank for the replies, I know I may have came across as someone just looking for reassurance but hope you understand where I was coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

Celtron wrote: »
    Hey all, finally into a studying routine , always been naturally bright enough so I'm going well, doing English, Maths, Physics, Applied Maths, French, Business and DCG at higher level with Irish at ordinary (which is a piece of cake if you did JC higher) and I don't consider Applied Maths an extra subject for me since I don't really bother with Irish :p. I am confident for my points in Maths,Physics, Applied Maths, French and Business :D. My English teacher said I can get a h1 :eek: , but in my opinion that all depends on the paper. I really don't like DCG either but I suppose I've never given it a proper try, I can only do one long question (dihedral angle) fully. Now DCG will be a lot of effort for me considering I dossed around in it in 5th year but I got an A in JC TG mock and ended up getting a B in JC. My question is: Is there any subject that is relatively easy to get a h1 in that I could pick up at this stage or any subject with a short course to cover? I've heard economics is very doable in a year and I have an interest in it anyways?

No subject is easy let's get that out of the way first. No matter how bright you may be everyone has to work hard to reach their goals or desired grades.Anyway it seems like you are taking on a lot already so I wouldn't go and add another subject into the mix. Your brain can only take so much and most importantly your mental health .

Advertisement