Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value network for parents

Options
  • 26-11-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

Hi, time has come to get my kid his own phone and I'm on the hook for the bill.

I was looking at deals on prepay phones from operators but was wondering if it's a better idea just to buy a phone on amazon and use something like Lycamobile?

It seems to be the cheapest and most flexible for topping up. e.g. there's a 9 euro per month top up bundle. Looking at Three they only seem to have a 20 euro top up option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What age is he?
    What will his usage be like for mins/texts/data?
    What phone is he looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    What age is he?
    What will his usage be like for mins/texts/data?
    What phone is he looking at?

10. Very few calls. Mostly receiving calls. Probably WhatsApp / snapchat mostly.

Looking at budget Samsung and Motorola phones around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    10. Very few calls. Mostly receiving calls. Probably WhatsApp / snapchat mostly.

Looking at budget Samsung and Motorola phones around €100.

It will really depend if 1gb enough. Ib today's world you can go through 1gb very quickly watching YouTube, streaming Spotify etc, not so much WhatsApp or snapchat but time would tell I guess.

I would recommend the Xiaomi mi 4A 3gb global version. Should get it for around €100 if not stopped by customs. If customs get it then it'll be another 25 roughly.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    It will really depend if 1gb enough. Ib today's world you can go through 1gb very quickly watching YouTube, streaming Spotify etc, not so much WhatsApp or snapchat but time would tell I guess.

I would recommend the Xiaomi mi 4A 3gb global version. Should get it for around €100 if not stopped by customs. If customs get it then it'll be another 25 roughly.

Thanks. I ended up ordering a Moto G5 on Amazon. I’ll be locking down YouTube using the google family link app. Although not sure if I can restrict browsers with that.

I guess he’ll learn to manage 1gb data until he’s paying it himself. Only other low cost plan I see is €10 Tesco mobile but that has 200mb of data.
    Would rather have him on a low cost recurring top up than the constant “I’ve no credit” thing which I find infuriating in adults never mind kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to configure a data limit on the phone, otherwise his credit will disappear 4-5 days into each month. 1GB really isnt a lot, 2hrs of youtube/month.

Dont trust Google Family
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/27/youtube-faces-brand-freeze-over-ads-and-obscene-comments-on-videos-of-kids/
    The kids specific version of YT was found last week to be full of really sick stuff. The algorithm totally failed to purge it.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You need to configure a data limit on the phone, otherwise his credit will disappear 4-5 days into each month. 1GB really isnt a lot, 2hrs of youtube/month.

Dont trust Google Family
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/27/youtube-faces-brand-freeze-over-ads-and-obscene-comments-on-videos-of-kids/
    The kids specific version of YT was found last week to be full of really sick stuff. The algorithm totally failed to purge it.

Interesting re FamilyLink thanks.

The €9 Lycamobile plan is a 30 day recurring top up so there’s no credit to use once the data is gone. There’ll be plenty of calls and texts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

3 have unlimited data on phones. My kids use WhatsApp, Viber and Snapchat all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

48 Months. 15GB for €15 monthly with minimal outbound calls and texts. That's €15 monthly capped unless you decide to top it if usage is exceeded.

Just be careful of a 10yo on the internet.

RangeR wrote: »

Just be careful of a 10yo on the internet.

Yeah looking at parental controls and ground rules etc. But yeah it’s a minefield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Hi, time has come to get my kid his own phone and I'm on the hook for the bill.

If your son is willing to go data-only, then you should consider the eir 180 day pass which gives 50GB for €30. If rationed out over 6 months that gives more than 8GB per month for €5. Fantastic value, and you can still do voice with over-the-top apps like Whatsapp & Viber.

It doesn't get entirely away from topping up, but if you only have to do it once every 6 months, then it is not such a chore. (I think you can automate top-ups also). It is marketed as mobile broadband for tablets and hotspots, but there is no reason why you can't use this plan in a phone. I use one in the car as a hotspot for passengers. Also, eir has good 4G and is a much more reliable network than Lyca or Three.

If your son is willing to go data-only, then you should consider the eir 180 day pass which gives 50GB for €30. If rationed out over 6 months that gives more than 8GB per month for €5. Fantastic value, and you can still do voice with over-the-top apps like Whatsapp & Viber.

It doesn't get entirely away from topping up, but if you only have to do it once every 6 months, then it is not such a chore. (I think you can automate top-ups also). It is marketed as mobile broadband for tablets and hotspots, but there is no reason why you can't use this plan in a phone. I use one in the car as a hotspot for passengers. Also, eir has good 4G and is a much more reliable network than Lyca or Three.

Can that sim receive calls?

Advertisement