Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in a UK import - should I look North?

Options
  • 26-11-2017 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I bought a 9 year old Renault Clio diesel last year, it's a UK import, registered in Ireland before I got it. There's something up with the dashboard that means the technical fault light comes on every so often - there's nothing wrong with the car, it's just this dashboard that no garage seems to be able to fix but it's really annoying and I'm sure it will complicate any sale or its next NCT. Fuel injectors were replaced and the software doesn't recognise them as it should, the Renault garages can't fix it.

Shopping around for trade ins from different garages, I'm wondering if it might be worth my time to try trading it in in the North as I think the dash problems and the mileage on the car (140k miles) might mean we're looking at scrappage anyway. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Frankly whatever little value that car has down here, it will have less value up North. In fact a dealer in the North may not be even interested in giving you anything for it as it will just be hassle for them trying to offload it.

If you can afford a brand new car then one of the manufacturer's scrappage schemes might be your best bet but that involves spending alot of money on a brand new car. If your not buying new then maybe look into putting through an auction down here for whatever you can get for it. Again it may not be financially viable to do that when you subtract auction fees, etc. Worth exploring though.

Advertisement