Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maldives?

Options
  • 26-11-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

We're planning a celebration holiday for next May, when my wife's treatment is finished.
    Someone recommended the Maldives, and they look fabulous. Any experiences, advice or suggestions appreciated....costs, best months, travel times, (mosquitoes?), foods etc etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Was there in July this year. Pick a resort that suits your budget, they vary wildly, and if you can stretch for it go for the all-inclusive option if it suits you. We enjoyed not having to watch the cost of snacks, drinks etc when there, as it was all paid for before we arrived.

The people managing our resort told us that the weather is fairly standard year round, a quick google should confirm that for you. The weather and climate in July was fantastic, I think in the 6 nights we were there it rained for maybe 15 minutes one night.

We fly via Abu Dhabi and it was very straightforward.

Oh and also if you can afford it, take a seaplane transfer to the resort instead of the speedboat. It's a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I have no travel advice for you but hope your wifes treatment goes well and you have many more happy years together..

Congratz, from an internet stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

davo2001 wrote: »
    I have no travel advice for you but hope your wifes treatment goes well and you have many more happy years together..

Congratz, from an internet stranger.

Thank you so much, that little message meant so much to both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

We stayed on Kuramathi Island last year and it was brilliant. We went all inclusive as mentioned already, the cost can rack up quickly with food/drinks/snacks if you don't and the last thing you want to worry about is a big bill at the end of a nice holiday!
    We booked through Island Escapes in Donabate and found them fantastic to deal with. Stayed in a water villa with direct access to the reef.. Few photos I took while there with my drone.

If you have any questions just ask!

Kuramathi_Resort_1.jpg

Kuramathi_Resort_3.jpg

Kuramathi_Resort_2.jpg

sunset-water-villa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Homer wrote: »
    We stayed on Kuramathi Island last year and it was brilliant. We went all inclusive as mentioned already, the cost can rack up quickly with food/drinks/snacks if you don't and the last thing you want to worry about is a big bill at the end of a nice holiday!
    We booked through Island Escapes in Donabate and found them fantastic to deal with. Stayed in a water villa with direct access to the reef.. Few photos I took while there with my drone.

If you have any questions just ask!

Watermarked%20Photo%202016-06-24-1904.jpg

Watermarked%20Photo%202016-06-24-2001.jpg

Watermarked%20Photo%202016-06-24-1926-2.jpg

sunset-water-villa.jpg

Thanks for the reply, pics look amazing! We'll be in touch nearer the time if that's ok with you. Cheers

• Advertisement

tony glenn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, pics look amazing! We'll be in touch nearer the time if that's ok with you. Cheers

Absolutely no problem.

Bloody photobucket wants me to pay now to hotlink photos! I’ll trip load them elsewhere tomorrow :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Homer, we had Kuramathi on our shortlist when we went to the Maldives in 2000, but decided on Bandos Island instead. Went half board so we had to buy lunch & drinks separate. It can get expensive as you really have no other option

May should be find for weather, we ended up going in Sep and it was monsoon season, they say the best months are Nov-April.

Its a very long trip though, but worth it in the end....we flew out of Gatwick through Bahrain on Monarch back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Homer wrote: »
    Bloody photobucket wants me to pay now to hotlink photos! I’ll trip load them elsewhere tomorrow :mad:

Hi Homer

Is it a nosey question to ask how much your holiday came to, those pics you took has made me fall in love with that place.

Cost was around €7k for two of us. Stopped in Dubai for 2 nights on the way over and then a sunset water villa and all inclusive plus package on Kuramathi.
    It does seem expensive when you look at the price but if you were to break it down we felt it wasn’t that bad.
    Granted it’s not something you would do every year but we felt if we were going all that way then do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Was there 20 years ago.The most memorable holiday I ever had

Not much to add to the good advice above, definitely go all inclusive (the food is excellent) and do the seaplane transfer, its just jaw dropping.

We went early March and weather was cloudless sun for the duration

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

We went with kuoni. Prices might be OK ...depends on exchange rates! Could be favourable at the moment?

Advertisement