Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which driving game?

Options
  • 25-11-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭

So with the missus having approved my purchase of wheel and chair for some father/son bonding time I'm looking at games to play. He's only 5 so no worries there , I'll be picking the games :)
    I have Forza 7 and Horizon 3 for the Xbox one x and I purchased the logitech g920 to use on both the xbox and pc.
    I'm just getting into this so wanted to know people's thoughts on the other games like F1, Project Cars 2, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 etc

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

F1 2017 - not a pure sim in terms of realistic handling and physics etc but it is immersive and accessible at the same time.

Project cars 2 - light years ahead of PCARS1 , simply loads of content , good solid sim but take note not all cars are simulated to the same level, for example some cars are excellent others feel like they were just thrown in the make up the roster.

Dirt Rally - fantastic in every way , probably the 2nd best rally physics of all time, second only to the ancient richard burns rally.
    Really brilliant rally sim.

Dirt rally, meh its only okay, not a patch and DR.

Can i recommend Automobilista, assetto corsa,rfactor2 and raceroom.

Automobilista - would be my pick of the best physics and forcefeedback of any sim on the market,also has a massive amount of content and mods [up there with the most thrustworthy of devs ,passionate and honest] something thats rare in gaming these days.

Assetto corsa - great physics,respectable FFB,loads of cars but limited amount of tracks which is my main issue with it, but you can get loads of modded cars and tracks like automobilista [again very decent devs].

Raceroom - another high end sim with solid physics, its free to play with very limited content that you can buy in packs for example GT3 pack,Touring Car pack etc

Rfactor 2 - great physics [next to automobilista imo] big modding community like Automobilista and AC.

Ofcourse its asking a lot to pick the lot all at once.

For someone getting into sims i would recommend Automobilista for pure driving enjoyment and racing,sublime physics and ffb.
    Also PCARS2 for sheer amount of content right off the bat,solid sim too so cant go wrong.
    While your at it, grab Dirt rally for white knuckle rallying.
    F1 2017 for something not quite a realistic but good honest racing fun at the same time.
    After that id opt for Assetto Corsa [thats not me saying PCARS2 is better than AC, its not but it has a tonne of content right away for a new sim racer]

Enjoy simracing, theres a whole new world out there for you.

PS: if you want something to just sit back relax and still drive for hours on end i thoroughly recommend euro truck simulator 2 , amazing with a wheel and pedal setup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

i never thought of the truck sim one..the kids would love it. :)
    Had a quick blast on it last night on Forza and the wheel makes an incredible difference.
    I know there are better wheels out there than the logitech but to get the whole wheel/pedals and shifter for €183 was a no-brainer.
    hoping to pick up the seat either today/tomorrow and give it a right go.
    I'm thinking of going with F1 and dirt rally first and seeing how I get on with it.
    Have a trial of F1 so will see if I like it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Getting back into all of this kind of thing after 15 years, mentioned it on this thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057812827

Racing games are all i would be into once i get the kids off it :pac:

Splashed out on Assetto Corsa..its only €18 on xbox.

Dcully..below was your comment on Dirt..did you read Dirt 4 was meh or Dirt Rally was meh?

Dirt Rally - fantastic in every way , probably the 2nd best rally physics of all time, second only to the ancient richard burns rally.
    Really brilliant rally sim.

Dirt rally, meh its only okay, not a patch and DR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say he means Dirt Rally it's about 2yrs old, didn't think I needed a handbrake for my set up until I played it. Brilliant game still getting the hang of it. It's tough going in VR. (Yea you'll be needing a vr headset as well : ) )

If your looking at a seat the playseat evo with the gear stick attachment and seat slider is a nice option with your kit, you'll need both those extras with it. Seats pop up on Amazon warehouse from time to time..none there at the moment unfortunately as there's 20% off the warehouse right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

DR ie Dirt Rally is far better than Dirt 4 mate :)

I'd say he means Dirt Rally it's about 2yrs old, didn't think I needed a handbrake for my set up until I played it. Brilliant game still getting the hang of it. It's tough going in VR. (Yea you'll be needing a vr headset as well : ) )

If your looking at a seat the playseat evo with the gear stick attachment and seat slider is a nice option with your kit, you'll need both those extras with it. Seats pop up on Amazon warehouse from time to time..none there at the moment unfortunately as there's 20% off the warehouse right now.

yeah I was looking at the playseat challenge or the evo.
    Harvey's have them in stock so I might pop in the morning and pick up one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Blazer wrote: »
    yeah I was looking at the playseat challenge or the evo.
    Harvey's have them in stock so I might pop in the morning and pick up one :)

You'll need those 2 extras, no where to mount the gear stick and a pain to move seat without the slider.
    Pro Holder
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GKFM0KC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511730493&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=playseat&dpPl=1&dpID=41HYxHg7R2L&ref=plSrch

Slider
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00124UKJY/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511730493&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=playseat

Evolution seat is about €40 cheaper on Amazon, I've an alcantara material one, can't comment on the leather one.

It's as handy get it all together as it's a bit of messing fitting the slider later, not the end of the world either though, gear holder pro is essential.
    I've the fanatec handbrake mounted behind the Logitech gearstick on the same gear holder pro.

https://imgur.com/a/wauWm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

PC2 is great value mostly interested in the formula cars.

F1 23 introduced F1 world which has RPG element where you increase the tech level of your car, along with D,C,B,A safety licenses, weekly challenges that unlock more content. It's great fun and keeps you playing.

Some new time trial challenges from Max and Charles to beat for virtual helmet rewards here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OreQvXF1JU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Project Cars 2 can't be bought any longer as the licences have expired.

The kids love Wreckfest and BeamNG

My usual sims are ACC and iRacing (doing a lot of stock car oval racing)

• Advertisement
Advertisement