Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile provider to replace fibre broadband

Options
  • 25-11-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I'm currently paying €44/month for fixed line broadband with Pure Telecom and €13 for 48months for my mobile calls, texts and data.

I'd like to try a prepay package to replace the above two plans. I've looked at ID Mobile and this seems good value

https://www.idmobile.ie/shop/phones-plans/prepay-plan

I've since read they don't allow tethering.

What is ID Mobile like to use?
    Does anyone tether with them?
    If not, which would be the best monthly sim-only deal which allows tethering?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I would never recommend Mobile as a substitute for fibre. You will regret it. Mobile can vary hugely depending on the time of day, number of users in your area, atmospheric conditions etc. And ID are piggy-backing on the Three network which by all accounts is the worst.

Eir do allow tethering on mobile, but they also have a bundle at the moment - €35 for 6 months fibre broadband, followed by 6 months at €40 -12 month contract in total. You can add in Sim-only 4G mobile for €10 per month. The combined Fibre and mobile cost would average €47.50 per month over the 12 months - not a bad deal.

You just need to be careful navigating the eir site, as they try to upsell more expensive bundles including TV. You also need to remember to be prepared to move bundle again in 12 months time, when the contract expires. There is generally one bargain basement bundle amidst all the more expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't expect this to be like for like, you're downgrading by doing this.

Advertisement