Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having difficult time with Nest Thermostat

Options
  • 25-11-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all, is there anybody who has Nest Thermostat and can help? I tried Nest support but chat is never available, tel, number is not ringing, sent 2 emails- no answer and the only other option is Twitter- I do not have Twitter :(

I installed 2 zones in my house- downstairs and upstairs in March last year and didn't really use heating much since till this winter.

I am struggling with Nest thermostats so much that I am already regretting ever installing them to be honest :( I only got them as my ex boyfriend recommended.

First of all the thermostats seem to be offline a lot even though they are so close to the router and internet is on and there is no issue with the internet.

Secondly the schedule doesn't seem to be working and I don't think it is possible to get it working. I wanted to set the schedule up as traditional thermostat- 1 hour morning, 1 hour later afternoon and 1 hour evening- this is not possible with Nest as it is temperature driven- can you confirm this is not possible? I don't think it is ...

then I set up schedule for 5.45am 16 degrees, 17.00 16 degrees and 19.30 18 degrees mon- fri.

There are 3 options that I can set on thermostat- off/ heat or eco.
    when I set thermostat to off- schedule is not picked up what is correct behaviour.
    when I set thermostat to eco- schedule is not picked up- I actually don't know what eco means and I already spent hours on internet looking up solutions for how to get this working (I found there are lots of people not happy with Nest thermostat)

when I set the thermostat to heat- it finally picks the schedule up. BUT- it doesn't make sense. my schedule I set up is 5.45am 16 degrees, 17.00 16 degrees and 19.30 18 degrees mon- fri. So I would want the thermostat to heat the room in the morning at 5.30 to 16 degrees and then switch the heating off, what is actually happening, 16 stays on the screen of thermostat and it keeps switching it on again when temperature falls under 16. same in the afternoon and evening- I would Nest to heat the room till desired temperature and then switch it off as once off till next point on the schedule is reached. what is happening now is that in the evening my last scheduled temperature point is 18 degrees, this 18 degrees then stays on the screen so it is heating the rooms up every time the temperature falls under 18- what is incorrect, that way it will never fall down for next day mooring to pick the morning schedule at 5.30 to heat to 16 degrees?
    So what I am doing now is manually bringing the temperature after scheduled temperature reached to 9 degrees so then next time schedule is on (~lets say at 19.30), it picks it up and again heats . but this is not schedule then I am manually changing the temperature on the thermostat, which means I might as well forget about schedule and just to be manually switching it on and off every time I need heating on or off.

Very frustrating and upsetting, can you advise please?

please note- I switched self learning off as it was getting heating switched on in the middle of the night etc.

I also noticed when I leave the "heat" regime on but bring it down to 9 degrees (in order for the Nest to pick my schedule up), the thermostat turns to "eco" when we are away (I think there is some kind of away assist but I think I switched this off?)

Please anybody who has Nest and is setting up schedule, please let me know what and how you managed to go round this as I feel like ripping both of them off the walls and the old white box thermostat would do a better job

Thank you!! Kat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Its working as you asked it you asked for 16degrees at 5.30 and it does that you did not tell it to go to any other Temperature later so it stays at 16 until next command which is at 17:00 to 16degrees

What you need to do is set 16 at 5.30 am this will switch heat on and maintain heat until next command

So if you want heat for one Hr then set 10degrees at 6.30 am this will switch off heating

Then set 16 at 17:00 and after whatever length of time you want set 10 and this will turn off ie 19:00 set 10 This will maintain 16 between 17:00 and 19:00

So to switch on off you set temperatures and a low temperature is really off

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

HI and thanks, I actually figured it out in a meanwhile and have the "switch off point" set up to 9 degrees , thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

HI and thanks, I actually figured it out in a meanwhile and have the "switch off point" set up to 9 degrees , thank you!

Hi
    Did you figure out why it keeps going offline. I'm having that issue too

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

Hi
    Did you figure out why it keeps going offline. I'm having that issue too

HI, no I didn't figure that one out :( sadly

Advertisement