Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Nest the best?

Options
  • 25-11-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Planning on getting a smart thermostat. Is Nest considered the best? Heard of Hive as well..

What's the deal with rooms/areas? Do I need one nest in each part of the house?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You wouldn't have he stats everywhere, nest is good as is hive, natamo, climote etc there are a lot of good quality units.

A stat could really only Control a zone, like hot water , upstairs rads etc

For individual rads you'd need TRV temp regulating valve. They will control the individual rad.

Have look at a you tube video of something like Honeywell or lightwaverf smart TRVs etc to get a good idea.

You wouldn't have a stat in every room unless you could individually Control the rads in every room.

TRVs give you a bit if that

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nest is good, but as Stoner says lots of other very good options too Tado, Netatmo, Evohome, Hive, etc.

If you want control of each individual rad, then you will want smart TRV's, which Nest don't have. You will want Tado, Netatmo or Evohome which all have smart valves.

If you want separate hot water control, then it will leave you with just Tado and Evohome as Netatmo doesn't support separate hw zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

How does Nest sense temp hot water? I've looked around the web and can't see how they achieve this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

CGI_3 wrote: »
    How does Nest sense temp hot water? I've looked around the web and can't see how they achieve this...

Assuming you have a standard hit water tank, then you probably have a manual stat attached to the side if the tank. Nest works in line with that stat, so when you call for heat to your water zone, neat will power it up according to your schedule, and the stat in your hit water cylindare will cut out the zone when it hits it's setting.

Thats how mine works anyway, neat gives me a schedule and remote access to activate or turn the hot water on or off and to boost the hot water, but the cylinder stat is how the temp is controlled

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Assuming you have a standard hit water tank, then you probably have a manual stat attached to the side if the tank. Nest works in line with that stat, so when you call for heat to your water zone, neat will power it up according to your schedule, and the stat in your hit water cylindare will cut out the zone when it hits it's setting.

Thats how mine works anyway, neat gives me a schedule and remote access to activate or turn the hot water on or off and to boost the hot water, but the cylinder stat is how the temp is controlled

So it's just a glorified timer in that sense so? It doesn't actually know what temp the water is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

CGI_3 wrote: »
    So it's just a glorified timer in that sense so? It doesn't actually know what temp the water is?

For the water, no. Not sure how other smart therms work around this or if they do tbh. It would be a nice to have, but consider the fact that you never really adjust the temp setting of your hot water cylinder, it's not a vital component.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you have an OpenTherm boiler, then Nest can control the temperature of the hot water between 55c and 65c.

However that is a pretty new feature for boilers, so most people don't have it.

Most just heat water on a schedule, you don't get too much control over temp as it needs to be 55c or hotter anyway to stop the development of bacteria. More info here:

https://nest.com/uk/support/article/Learn-more-about-the-3rd-generation-Nest-Thermostat-s-domestic-hot-water-control

Advertisement