Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burgers and Steak Cork City

Options
  • 24-11-2017 3:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭

I'm off for a few days and spending some time back in cork city, I heard Bunsen and Son of a bun are awesome for the burgers, which should I go for first? I also heard the food in liberty Grill is fab and the steak there is fab too, I welcome other recommendations . I may be on my own so would appreciate recommendations for more casual type places as opposed to fancy retaurants, SOHO is a perfect example of what I'm after but the steak I had there last time wasn't worth the 30 euro I paid for it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Elbow lane would have the best steak in the city in my opinion. It's casual, and walk-up only, no reservations. Can be tricky to get into as a group, but on your own you should be fine.
    Burgers... son of a bun I find exceptionally annoying, maybe I'm an old fogey but christ it's loud in there. Have to roar at the staff to be heard over the music. I like the burgers in Silly Goose, but yeah, I wouldn't be a person who tries every burger in the city or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Not a big Bunsen fan myself, but I'd recommend both Son of a Bun (though it definitely is loud in there, especially if you're there at a busy time) and West Cork Burger on Washington street, that's my burger favourite currently. I'm not a fan of mayo/burger sauce stuff, so any place that can think a bit outside of the box in that area is my thing, and WCB definitely does that. The smoked chili jam is my jam!

For steak I'd agree with Elbow Lane, that place is worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nerwen wrote: »
    Not a big Bunsen fan myself, but I'd recommend both Son of a Bun (though it definitely is loud in there, especially if you're there at a busy time) and West Cork Burger on Washington street, that's my burger favourite currently. I'm not a fan of mayo/burger sauce stuff, so any place that can think a bit outside of the box in that area is my thing, and WCB definitely does that. The smoked chili jam is my jam!

For steak I'd agree with Elbow Lane, that place is worth the wait.

I'm curious to know what you don't like about Bunsen. For me, they do an almost perfect burger. Not over cooked (a rarity in Ireland), good bun, classic toppings and great meat flavour.

My only gripes are that I find the patties a little too thick and I'd like some sort of chilli addition but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I'm curious to know what you don't like about Bunsen. For me, they do an almost perfect burger. Not over cooked (a rarity in Ireland), good bun, classic toppings and great meat flavour.

My only gripes are that I find the patties a little too thick and I'd like some sort of chilli addition but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

I also I find the patties too thick, and I do think they undercook their burgers. I'm a fan of a medium burger, but medium does not mean the middle of the patty being cold and raw. I also find that they lack in flavour.

If there were no other options, I would probably go there, but in the end, Cork does have plenty of other options. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

nerwen wrote: »
    I also I find the patties too thick, and I do think they undercook their burgers. I'm a fan of a medium burger, but medium does not mean the middle of the patty being cold and raw. I also find that they lack in flavour.

If there were no other options, I would probably go there, but in the end, Cork does have plenty of other options. :)

Completely agree. Another aspect I don't like is the cramped nature of it. Tables too small and they have the napkins etc stacked on them taking up more space. It's grand for a casual quick bite but that's about it I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's grand for a casual quick bite but that's about it I feel.

It's a fast food outlet, it's meant for a casual quick bite. If you are looking for dinner, go to a proper restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

It's a fast food outlet, it's meant for a casual quick bite. If you are looking for dinner, go to a proper restaurant.

It's a poor mans Five Guys, hopefully they get here soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Surprised that no one has mentioned Coqbull yet. Great burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Favourite burger place in Cork is Twelve Tables, but it's out in Douglas. Best steak I've had in the city was Rossini's, but that was some time back (and probably doesn't count as 'casual'?).

The burgers in Son of a Bun are very good, though they really rush you out the door. Gourmet Burger isn't a bad option if SoaB is full. Is the Bad Boys Barbecue any good, has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Last place I ate in Cork was Holy Smoke, food was fantastic.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's a poor mans Five Guys, hopefully they get here soon ;)

ah buddy, any decent chipper will give you a burger better than 5 Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Holy Smoke is quite nice.. It was absolutely amazin when newly opened but I feel like quality has gone down, last couple of times the bread and meat has been quite dry, it's probably still one of the best places for burgers in Cork but not for long unless something changes.

Bunsen has been good the times I've been there but the burgers are quite plain. Quick service and great meat though!

West Cork Burger Company is a new player in town... I've tried it once so far and I was not very impressed. The menu has a lot of interesting stuff though and maybe I just picked the wrong day (it was very busy). I'll give them another go for sure but I can't say I'd recommend them right now if you want a guaranteed good burger.

Advertisement