Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your yearly reminder regarding buying consoles for your kids this Christmas

Options
  • 24-11-2017 10:34am

It's Black Friday and I figured a lot of parents would be keeping their eye out consoles for their kids.

I made the same post this time last year and it should be repeated as a lot of people don't realise this.

Your chosen console won't be ready-to-play out of the box. It will need a few software updates before it can run. And, likely, the video games you purchase will need updates too.

In the run up to Christmas, open the console somewhere discrete, let it access the internet, and download all of the updates that it requires. Then insert each game disc and let those do updates too.

Given that Christmas will likely be an extremely busy time for other parents doing the same, then internet speeds will be very low. An update could take most of the day. And there's the chance that the PlayStation or Xbox Network might crash/get hacked.

This way you can ensure your kids can play their Christmas present as soon as they unwrap it from under the tree!

Comments

Very true, it's the modern equivalent of the Christmas battery search, when there are none included.

Very true, it's the modern equivalent of the Christmas battery search, when they're are none included.

Ha great way to put it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

...and warn them not to buy Battlefront 2 :pac:

me_irl wrote: »
    ...and warn them not to buy Battlefront 2 :pac:

If the images doing the rounds regarding Battlefront 2 being the only item left in shops, then that seems to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this means you can get a bit of practice in so you can then whip their asses on xmas morning and claim beginners luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hi

I would like to surprise somebody who I think would like a Nintendo switch. I don't want to ask them any more about it because it would ruin the surprise. What should I look for when I am buying it? I am buying it for an adult, who has two children.

Whats necessary and what is just useless sales stuff that somebody in Smyths etc will try to sell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Hi

I would like to surprise somebody who I think would like a Nintendo switch. I don't want to ask them any more about it because it would ruin the surprise. What should I look for when I am buying it? I am buying it for an adult, who has two children.

Whats necessary and what is just useless sales stuff that somebody in Smyths etc will try to sell me?

There's a thread in the Nintendo section, you need the console, a game or 2, a carry case and a screen protector. There are reports of screens being scratched going in and out of the dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Hi

All you need is what's in the box. There's other accessories etc. but let the receipent of the gift decide for themselves if they need any of that stuff in their own time.

Don't let anyone sell you an additional controller. You may already know this, but the Switch's controller breaks into two so two people can use it to play a game together. Perfect for someone with two kids. A second controller would be great for letting four people play Mario Kart, for example, but it's an additional expense that can be purchased later if it's genuinely needed.

In terms of games, Breath of the Wild is the game of the year. However, despite being a very appealing game it's also a very involved one and it can be challenging at times. It's a cute looking game but make no mistake, it's a serious title that is tailor made for people with a lot of time to dedicate to it.

With that in mind I think Mario Odyssey might be a better fit. It can be as easy or challenging as you want to make it and it might be a better pick up and play game for a parent with two kids. If you're buying more than one game then perhaps consider Arms which is great fun and the kids will love it (as will the adults). The aforementioned Mario Kart is obviously a contender as well.

There's plenty of other games available, of all sorts of genres and difficulty levels, but unless you know what the person is into then you're best off going for the above games, or games in that mould. They're tried and tested games and will be enjoyed. If the person is into more niche games then they can browse and download from the digital store in their own time.

You'll also have to decide on the colour. I suspect many adults might like the plain grey however I think the neon is great looking. Again, with two kids the neon might be a more fun looking family console. On the other hand, if the person commutes etc. then they might appreciate the more 'mature' looking grey model.

You obviously know that the person is into gaming, or else you wouldn't be considering it. Add the two kids into the mix and it becomes a no-brainer. It's a fantastic and generous present and will be loved and enjoyed by anyone with an interest in games. Go for it.

Edit: just to echo the above. Get a carry case and screen protector. It's not something I needed but they're pretty much essential where kids are involved.

For the Switch all I have in way of accessories outside of what came with it is a carry case and a separate case I've on it that acts as a stand. I prefer to play mine handheld and the stand on the Switch is pretty cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thank you plague maiden (words I never expected to say!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Always remember that downloads happen faster in rest mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thank you plague maiden (words I never expected to say!)

As opposed to Plaque Maiden, who destroys teeth

BUMP, with Cyber Monday on today.
    Always remember that downloads happen faster in rest mode.

Very good point! If you're not certain how to put your console into rest mode, check the instructions for your console. Also make sure that downloads/internet connectivity is turned on while in rest mode. I can't remember if it is on by default, but I'm about 95% certain you can toggle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Also don't forget the burlap sack outfit scraggly hair and mud face mask. Might as well go all out on the peasant accessories.

Bump as we're coming closer to when Christmas presents will likely be wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Bump as we're coming closer to when Christmas presents will likely be wrapped.

My Black Friday X-Box arrived on Monday and I couldn't wait for a go. I wish I had read this 1st and I wouldn't have had to sulk for 24 hours until I got to play (30 year old man).

Advertisement