Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultegra R8000 Cable End Caps

Options
  • 23-11-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Just wondering could anyone advise on end caps for this. Some of the end caps have tongues on them and I'm not sure where to use them. Think it might be on rear derailleur only where cable enters the RD. Could someone clarify?

Also could someone clarify if the Shimano brake cables need end caps. I don't think they do apart from where they enter and exit a frame for internal routing. Where they enter shifters and brakes it looks like they're not needed as holes/entry points for cables are just slightly larger than outer diameter of cable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My approach has always been to use an end cap if it'll fit, on the basis that it'll eliminate some play. As you say, it's usually obvious very quickly whether a cap will actually fit or not.

It has been a while since I installed Shimano cables but from memory I think I used the end cap with tongue on the frame end of the rear derailleur outer. The tongue may not fit through any other braze-on, and in fact I suspect that not every frame has clearance for it even at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks - good logical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I used end caps on all my cable outer ends for brakes and gears for a shimano build. They were fitted to the original cables so I just copied it with the new ones

Advertisement