Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saying prayers over the deceased

Options
  • 23-11-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭

I was just reading the RTE piece on the inquest into the tragedy at Buncrana:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1123/922275-buncrana-pier-inquest/

The following quote caught my eye:
    Garda Seamus Callaghan told the inquest ....

He said all five people were pronounced dead at the scene and prayers said over their bodies individually.

Would this be a standard occurence? I find it very odd that this would take place by any members of the Emergency Services (who I have utmost respect for)?
    What if the deceased had the appearance of being non-Catholic (I am assuming it was Catholic prayers that were said)?
    I am non-religious myself and I can understand the sentiment behind saying a prayer but I would be highly offended if this were to take place for a member of my familly.
    Also, in this day and age, surely there are an increasing number of non-Catholic Emergency Service members, what is the protocol then?

I'm just interested in hearing opinions, as I said, I find it very odd that someone thought this universally appropriate and again so to bring it up at the inquest.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

To be honest my reaction on finding a body would be to check for signs of life, finding none I would pray for a moment, as simple as god bless you and may perpetual light shine on your soul and call emergency services.

If the deceased wore a hijab I'm sure my reaction would be fairly similar.

If the deceased person is offended that I chose prayer when finding their body well that's on them. I'm relatively religious and prayer would centre me in a obviously stressful time. That said I definitely wouldn't feel a need to mention it at an inquest.

I sincerely doubt there's a service or a mass or anything else that is standard in the emergency services that people must do when finding a body.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It was a priest who was at the scene who said the prayers
    A local priest arrived and Garda Callaghan brought him around to each of the deceased to say prayers and bless them.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/buncrana-victims-should-have-been-able-to-open-the-doors-after-electrics-failed-audi-tells-inquest-36347218.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm relatively religious and prayer would centre me in a obviously stressful time.

And I don't think anyone would object to you doing so but the way the quote above is phrased that there was some form of organised prayer said over each body seperately, it doesn't sound like it was intended for the benefit of the first responders and/or emergency services.

Thanks, appreciate the input.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Simona1986 wrote: »
    And I don't think anyone would object to you doing so but the way the quote above is phrased that there was some form of organised prayer said over each body seperately, it doesn't sound like it was intended for the benefit of the first responders and/or emergency services.

Thanks, appreciate the input.

The independent article that a priest was brought over to the bodies is different to my original response.

I'm not sure what the point of that would be in a secular state. I wonder if the priest was brought over or if he came over and offered his services to say a few prayers.

A priest I know was Chaplin in a major hospital for a number of years. He was occasionally asked to administer the sacrament of the sick on persons who were unable to respond to him or comprehend what was happening. I don't know if it was at the request of families or if was done on the request of medical staff.

I'll try and find out of curiosity. It's somewhat related to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, let's turn the tables a bit, say a relative of yours died in New York and a rabbi did whatever it is Jewish people do with a recently deceased person. Would you go over to him and say stop right there, this person is Catholic, atheist, Mormon etc. If it was one of mine I'd just say thank you and get on with laying them to rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

flazio wrote:
    ... say a relative of yours died in New York and a rabbi did whatever it is Jewish people do with a recently deceased person.... I'd just say thank you and get on with laying them to rest.

+1

Noone wants to think that their loved died alone and without remark.

flazio wrote:
    Well, let's turn the tables a bit, say a relative of yours died in New York and a rabbi did whatever it is Jewish people do with a recently deceased person. Would you go over to him and say stop right there, this person is Catholic, atheist, Mormon etc. If it was one of mine I'd just say thank you and get on with laying them to rest.

From the op and original rte link, it wasnt clear it was a priest who said the prayers, it was worded as if it was the garda who had done it. If the nypd said a prayer of any denomination, I'd have thought it equally as strange.

Noone wants to think that their loved died alone and without remark.
    This is after they were pronounced deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

From indo
    Fr Walsh said he arrived at the pier that night and was immediately asked to administer the Last Rites as four of the bodies retrieved from the waters lay on the pier.

"I had just finished anointing the four bodies when they brought the body of the final victim," he said.

Yea they were probably dead at that stage, but for administering last rites they like to err on the side of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Just to mention I'm not in the emergency services and only stumbled across this on the homepage.

I'm not religious but I wouldn't have any issue with someone saying prayers over a deceased member of my family. It wouldn't bother me what their religion was, regardless of whether they were a Muslim or a Buddhist or Jewish or a Christian or whatever. If someone takes the trouble to say a few prayers over the bodies of deceased people, it's something that's coming from a place of goodness. Who wouldn't want a bit of kindness and humanity at a time like that? If you're religious, it'll mean something to you. If you're not, then what are they only some meaningless words from someone who's misguided but means well? Either way, I don't see what the fuss is. They're only a few prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From the op and original rte link, it wasnt clear it was a priest who said the prayers, it was worded as if it was the garda who had done it. If the nypd said a prayer of any denomination, I'd have thought it equally as strange.

I wouldn't. At the end of the day there is a person who is wearing that uniform and that person is entitled to their belief system, if they feel they have a custom for recently deceased, provided it's not interfering with their duties, I think it's meant well and should be let go. It's all about using tact in these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I was just reading the RTE piece on the inquest into the tragedy at Buncrana:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1123/922275-buncrana-pier-inquest/

The following quote caught my eye:
    Garda Seamus Callaghan told the inquest ....

He said all five people were pronounced dead at the scene and prayers said over their bodies individually.

Would this be a standard occurence? I find it very odd that this would take place by any members of the Emergency Services (who I have utmost respect for)?
    What if the deceased had the appearance of being non-Catholic (I am assuming it was Catholic prayers that were said)?
    I am non-religious myself and I can understand the sentiment behind saying a prayer but I would be highly offended if this were to take place for a member of my familly.
    Also, in this day and age, surely there are an increasing number of non-Catholic Emergency Service members, what is the protocol then?

I'm just interested in hearing opinions, as I said, I find it very odd that someone thought this universally appropriate and again so to bring it up at the inquest.

In all fairness, if five members of your family died in a tragedy and you still managed to hold your head enough take offence at a gesture that was probably meant in the best possible and most respectful intent you're a good un.

Presumably the 'protocol' with non-Catholic Emergency Service members is that they don't say Catholic prayers? Just a mad guess. It could be just that it was an instinctive reaction to a desperate and unimaginable situation on the past of the person involved rather than part of a big protocol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I cant understand this anti-religious sentiment.

So what if someone says a few words over a body, if you are an atheist you are gone and wont hear them! Thise few words may give comfort to those nearby, or to a family member who is religious, everyone else can just ignore it.

I was listening to the radio this week about how people are "offended" by religious statues etc., who cares, some get comfort from them, the rest of us can ignore them we aren't forced to pray to them.

I am not a Joe Dolan fan, but the statue in Mullingar doesn't affect me. Let others have their beliefs, statues and prayers they don't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

If thats all you have to worry about in life, fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I work with the emergency services and have done so for many years. I'm also an atheist because there is no way could God exist with all the unfair deaths and situations I have been involved in.....but.....I have stood over bodies at fatal RTCs, at suicides, at cardiac arrests and I have prayed with the priest and family......(I couldn't lead them because I don't know the words!).

I'm all about getting all the support I can to a scene. Don't forget, we aren't only dealing with the spiritual needs of the deceased, but more importantly we are dealing with the emotional rawness of those left behind.

I couldn't care if its Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, or whatever else.....sometimes it's not about the prayers, it's about treating people with respect and being an emotional crutch in times of hardship.

Another similar instance reported in this story: https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0731/982204-dean-evans/
    "Gardaí had the killers under surveillance and while one said an act of contrition into the dying man's ear, others followed the car and stopped and arrested the killers."

Seems a strange priority to me given the circumstance the Garda was in: Dying man, murder scene in public place, suspects fleeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I would be highly offended if....
    This makes my teeth itch.

endacl wrote:
    This makes my teeth itch.

Why? I don't have a problem with anyone saying a prayer for themselves or to help them through a difficult time but that's entirely different to a member of the emergency services, acting in a professional capacity, saying a prayer for the benefit of the deceased/dying without knowing the wishes of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

In all cases I've attended, the dead person can't tell me what they would like to happen, but we try look after what the immediate family would like to happen, as they are acting in the interests of the deceased.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement