Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id for selling games in Cex

Options
  • 23-11-2017 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I already asked about selling games without the oringal box but when I went to sell a game in Cex I was told that I needed something with my name on it to prove that I'm who I say I am all I have is my travel pass which which I got aged 16 don't have picture on it will it do or should get an age card which will have no other use as i don't drink go clubbing or do any gambling x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

softkitty wrote: »
    I already asked about selling games without the oringal box but when I went to sell a game in Cex I was told that I needed something with my name on it to prove that I'm who I say I am all I have is my travel pass which which I got aged 16 don't have picture on it will it do or should get an age card which will have no other use as i don't drink go clubbing or do any gambling x

No, a travel pass won't do.

If you're over 18 you should get yourself a passport or an Age Card. You're going to start needing ID A lot more as you get older.

I think CEX requires people to have ID to stop people from selling stolen goods. Happens a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CEX is pretty much a glorified pawn shop, so they have to be stricter when it comes to taking stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I was able to authorize with a debit card last week in lieu of photo ID

On my first visit there I traded in a load of games and used the store credit there and then to purchase other titles. On my second visit I wanted to trade in for cash and I was asked for I.D.

I was told, very bluntly, that it was a matter of security because I could be trading in stolen items. I asked if I now also needed I.D. to trade in for store credit to offset against other purchases. I was told no, I.D. was only required for cash trade ins. I pointed out the rather glaring inconsistency in that policy but was met with a classic mid-90's shoulder shrug.

I can see where they were coming from. People that are stealing consoles and games are likely doing it for cash, not as a way of keeping up with their hobby. However it wasn't a very logical way of going about it. The difference, I suspect, is that they were happy to risk the chance of receiving stolen goods if it wasn't taking cash out of the register.

Is that policy still in place or do you now need I.D. to trade in for store credit?

• Advertisement

Buddy of mine got through to the final stage of interviews with CEX. He was told that a reality he would need to face if he was put in a Dublin shop is that junkies will come in to sell stolen goods, or goods they've acquired through some means, in exchange for cash.

And that he couldn't do anything about it, because to say no would be seen as discrimination.

I reckon that's why they ask for ID; probably would put someone off trading in what they've stolen if they have to prove who they are.

It's harder to feed your habit with store credit than it is with cash.

Plus you're less likely to trade in stolen items for store credit.

That's why these policies exist. For scumbags.

Buddy of mine got through to the final stage of interviews with CEX. He was told that a reality he would need to face if he was put in a Dublin shop is that junkies will come in to sell stolen goods, or goods they've acquired through some means, in exchange for cash.

And that he couldn't do anything about it, because to say no would be seen as discrimination.

I reckon that's why they ask for ID; probably would put someone off trading in what they've stolen if they have to prove who they are.

It's harder to feed your habit with store credit than it is with cash.

Plus you're less likely to trade in stolen items for store credit.

That's why these policies exist. For scumbags.

Yep, that sounds very plausible. For the record I wasn't disputing CeX's policy on I.D. I think it's absolutely correct that people produce I.D. to exchange for cash for the reasons outlined above (albeit I'll leave aside your rather vulgar description of drug-addicts).

I just don't accept that it's also, and seemingly inadvertently, the best option for CeX as a profit making entity.

Yep, that sounds very plausible. For the record I wasn't disputing CeX's policy on I.D. I think it's absolutely correct that people produce I.D. to exchange for cash for the reasons outlined above (albeit I'll leave aside your rather vulgar description of drug-addicts).

I just don't accept that it's also, and seemingly inadvertently, the best option for CeX as a profit making entity.

I'm sure there's legal precedents that need to be followed when trading in goods for cash.

My "vulgar description" is an accurate one. That is what happens.

I'm sure there's legal precedents that need to be followed when trading in goods for cash.

My "vulgar description" is an accurate one. That is what happens.

We all have our own views on drug-addiction and the problems it brings. You think those people are scumbags. I, as a former drug-addict, am perhaps naturally more understanding of the situation.

In any event it's not a discussion for the gaming forum so perhaps we should both just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We all have our own views on drug-addiction and the problems it brings. You think those people are scumbags. I, as a former drug-addict, am perhaps naturally more understanding of the situation.

In any event it's not a discussion for the gaming forum so perhaps we should both just leave it at that.

They can be drug addicts all they want. As long as they work and pay for it and it doesn't impact others. Stealing and other associated acts makes them scumbags.

• Advertisement

Double post.

They can be drug addicts all they want. As long as they work and pay for it and it doesn't impact others. Stealing and other associated acts makes them scumbags.

Stealing makes them criminals, whereas "scumbag" is a value judgement and a concept that exists inside your head. But that's my opinion and of course you're entitled to yours.

I work with drug-addicts and criminals. I try to help them become healthier, stronger, 'better' people. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. You cannot help people with insulting, abusive language and you cannot even attempt to address these issues without helping people. So what do we do? Let them die on the streets like dogs? People like you will never be part of a solution because you're too enraged by the problem.

In 8 hours time I'll be at work, putting Savlon on the rope-burns around people's necks and wiping the vomit and faeces off their hands. Every day I deal with people I cannot trust, who are often impossible to like. People who, quite frankly, disgust me in their state of decay and degradation. And yet I'd rather be doing that than calling them scum.

But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tbh, I doubt anyone being mugged or that wakes up to someone in their house really cares too much for the person's self inflicted reason for being there.ill reserve all of my sympathy for the pensioner pictured in the paper back and blue rather than share it between them and the person that did it

Thread is sliding off down a tangent anyway so I'll leave it there.

Tbh, I doubt anyone being mugged or that wakes up to someone in their house really cares too much for the person's self inflicted reason for being there.ill reserve all of my sympathy for the pensioner pictured in the paper back and blue rather than share it between them and the person that did it

Thread is sliding off down a tangent anyway so I'll leave it there.

You'll reserve your sympathy, you'll apply labels, but ultimately you'll do nothing to help or alleviate anyone's position, victim or perpetrator. You're just another username telling it like it is from the comfort of your sofa. Ireland's favourite pastime, while essential services die a death for the want of money and volunteers. It makes me sick.

Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't get why they ask for ID. As said above it's maybe to stop selling stolen goods. But how many people bust out a pen and write their name on a game disk or case :pac:

You can take any game of mine and shuffle them with 10 other copies and I would have a hard time trying to tell you which one was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 softkitty

Went into my local cex they said my travel pass was fine likely due to fact it has my birth name and the signature at the bottom is the name of my account Mai O Connor rather than birth name Mary Theresa

Advertisement