Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight prices

Options
  • 22-11-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a quick query! Been interested in visiting Lyon for a while now- been checking prices for various dates over the last few weeks. Aer Lingus are the only ones that fly direct. Easyjet fly from Belfast but their route finishes before Iwant to go. Just wondering why the flights are so expensive? The cheapest I can ever find for a three day stay (midweek) is around €160. Just wondering because so many other destinations always seem cheaper!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think you might have already said it, nobody else to fly with, hence lack of competition, hence EI can charge what they like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭john boye

Keep in mind if you're going during winter that Lyon is a popular skiing destination so won't have a seasonal drop like other routes would.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

As mentioned lack of competition during peak skiing season, but also €160 fora return trip to southern France isn't exactly unreasonable and probably reflects the real cost of operating the flight when you factor in fuel, aircraft leasing costs/mortgage, crew wages, insurance, landing fees, enroute navigation charges, handling fees etc.

Ryanair style €10 flights just don't work other than for a select few seats per aircraft to drum up interest in destinations and to be able to advertise having €10 seats for sale. €10 wouldn't even cover taxes, never mind any of the other operating costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Try now, many from 120-145.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

rawwrrrr wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have a quick query! Been interested in visiting Lyon for a while now- been checking prices for various dates over the last few weeks. Aer Lingus are the only ones that fly direct. Easyjet fly from Belfast but their route finishes before Iwant to go. Just wondering why the flights are so expensive? The cheapest I can ever find for a three day stay (midweek) is around €160. Just wondering because so many other destinations always seem cheaper!

Lyon is not a very well served airport for the size of the city, and while the airport is expanding at the moment, prices always seem to be high compared to comparable destinations around Europe. While Easyjet is expanding in Lyon with the new terminal, there is not that much budget traffic to it.

A useful budget route can be Aer Lingus to CDG and a TGV from CDG to Lyon centre. You can get OuiGo (budget older TGVs) for as low as €15 one way. Which is not much more than the pricey-ish Lyon Express tram from LYS into town anyway.
    Great city btw and well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭sheroman01

rawwrrrr wrote: »
    Hi all,

My gf lives in Lyon so I have visited it a lot over the last year!

The cheapest return flights I have managed to get so far were around €120-€140. Always seems to be quite expensive - I guess that's Aer Lingus for you. To get a decent price you would need to book at least 1 month in advance.

There are alternative ways to get there as well, as the poster above mentioned:

Paris (Orly or CDG) and getting a 2 hour train to Lyon ( cheap flights and good times - check Ouigo for cheap trains)

Geneva and getting a 2 hour bus direct to Lyon, or get a blalbacar carshare (see further down about this)

Grenoble and a 1.5 hour train to Lyon. Ryanair fly here but not too often.

A big tip! - Go to blablacar.fr to find a cheap car share from Lyon airport to the city. It will be a €5 trip compared to a €14 one way airport tram to the city. There are always cars available. You could also try a carshare here from Geneva to Lyon to save money.

A great time to visit Lyon is actually in two weeks from 7th Dec to 10th Dec to to see 'Fete des Lumieres' - the festival of lights. Incredible shows and light displays all over the city - would recommend anyone to go see it. And funny enough, flights are a decent price right now - €148 flying 7th until 10th Dec! :)

Advertisement