Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GXI Expo - Worth Going?

Options
  • 22-11-2017 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to this before? Is it worth going to or is it more aimed at a younger crowd?

Do you need to buy tickets in advance or can they be bought at the door?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

it's the first time the event's run, so I don't quite know what to expect, but looking at some of the people involved, I'd say they're working really hard to make sure it's done right. I think all of these things are primarily aimed at kids anyway, but YMMV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I dont know much about it but its part organised by the group that runs Dublin Comic Con (not the MCM one) and those have been always pretty well run.

It does look to be aimed more at the Minecraft/Youtube audience, but short of just a room full of consoles what else can you do games wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AFAIK Part of the games room is being organised by AsOne, a duo with super-awesome mod Doctor DooM in it.
    So there'll be high-level Tekken & Street Fighter on display too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I guess it's ok to post seeing as people are asking.

It's not just aimed at kids, although there is a Nintendo area and Minevention for them to keep them happy :) We'll have a retro section, several voice actors from Overwatch and Fallout, VR, and of particular interest and where it differs to a lot of shows is a focus on panels and education, I'll be giving one myself on twitch and we've several colleges in attendance who'll be doing tutorials and the like.

There'll also be a big esports arena and many tournaments on during the weekend if that's your bag, including some game called Rocket League, FIFA, Street Fighter, and all the usual suspects. The mobile esports platform coming has to be seen to be believed.

The people behind this are Dublin Comic Con and AsOne (my organisation, who run Celtic Throwdown). That's a long pedigree of well run events, if I do say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

several voice actors from Overwatch

...go on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    ...go on.

Sombra /Carolina Ravassa and - Symettra / Anjali Bhimani!

There's a trailer for all that schtuff:

Advertisement