Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYP

Options
  • 22-11-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fu(k off, will you".

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'm tempted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

km991148 wrote: »
    When I see FYP or "fixed that for you" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fuck off, will you".

Anyone else?

FYP

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I didn't know what it meant for ages, I thought people who referring to a Final Year Project or something.

I also didn't know what OP meant for my first couple of years on here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It can be funny or appropriate sometimes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I didn't know what it meant for ages, I thought people who referring to a Final Year Project or something.

OverPowered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lots of love!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How do you pronounce FYP?

When I see it I always read it as "fipe!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

FYP. Fucked your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It's up there with LMGTFY in forum arsiness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

(ribbed) For Your Pleasure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you"

It's "Fixed Your Post".

You're welcome.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you"Fixed Your Post" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fu(k off, will you".

Anyone else?

FYP.

Or. FTFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

How do you pronounce FYP?

When I see it I always read it as "fipe!"

Please don't try to pronounce it? You shouldn't ever need to speak these shorteners and you save a lot of people getting annoyed if you don't.

When you see it, you should just read out the expanded, fixed your post. They are typing time savers, and if you know them, that's great, if not, ask or google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Annoying but it's the trump card of intellectually disadvantaged individuals.

What annoys me are those who sign their username at the end of their post...i wouldn't have known who wrote it if you didn't print your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you"

Pherekydes wrote: »

It's "Fixed Your Post".

You're welcome.

FYP.

I am too lazy to read properly and didn't notice the use of the conjunction between 'FYP' and 'Fixed that for you.' Sorry for being a useless prick.

FYP.

No, you are welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Like everything, it's not bad in its own right, merely funny or unfunny in a given instance.

I always assume people that have a blanket dislike of it have felt its burn before and are too witless to respond in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My mother is 83. She was born in the north and every time she either sees LOL or hears someone say “lol!” She says Loyal Orange Lodge

Like everything, it's not bad in its own right, merely funny or unfunny in a given instance.

I always assume people that have a blanket dislike of it have felt its burn before and are too witless to respond in kind.

nah not necessarily, haven't been burned by this, it just irritates me for some reason!

This is also posted in AH for a reason after all - as a non serious topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Surely this is the thread that you tell people that they need to have a ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fuck off, will you".

Anyone else?

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fučk off, will you".

Anyone else?

fyp :pac:

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fu(k off, will you?".

Anyone else?

oh **** it.

FMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's an arsey move... one that I am not immune from pulling when I want to piss someone off. :P

Kinda like when people piously trot out "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".

Please, sarcasm is great when expertly deployed. They're just being defensive because they've been had and can't think of a clever way to respond so decide to go for a canter on the sanctimony pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When I came on here first somebody quoted my post and wrote lol after it.
    I thought it meant lots of love and that they were coming on to me or even knew who I was. Had me all in a tizzy for awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Maybe it's time to change the meaning of it? If a female writes it, it should mean 'fanny your penis' ie, i want to have sex with you. A male interpretation could mean 'feel your poo''*. Anything that gets rid of FYP's usage is okay to me.

*had another phrase in mind but it could be considered rapey in the current online climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

nah not necessarily, haven't been burned by this, it just irritates me for some reason!

This is also posted in AH for a reason after all - as a non serious topic.

Fair enough. I do think it can be funny when deployed well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

When I see FYP or "fixed that for you" in a forum reply I just think "Oh fu(k off, will you".

Anyone else?

Yeah. FYP and the overused term 'snowflake' should be added to the forum censor list imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It's an arsey move... one that I am not immune from pulling when I want to piss someone off. :P

Kinda like when people piously trot out "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".

Please, sarcasm is great when expertly deployed. They're just being defensive because they've been had and can't think of a clever way to respond so decide to go for a canter on the sanctimony pony.

Actually there’s very little wit about FYP. It’s mostly someone turning something like “Liverpool are great” to “Liverpool are sh1t”.

And the response could be to keep doing that.

I’d ban it outright.

Advertisement