Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone try the rose hive method?

Options
  • 22-11-2017 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, Im looking to start taking up beekeeping again and am interested in the rose hive method. am curious as to how people have found this method. Does it work for you? are you happier than using the normal national method.Are your bees happier healthier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

helledevil wrote: »
    Hi, Im looking to start taking up beekeeping again and am interested in the rose hive method. am curious as to how people have found this method. Does it work for you? are you happier than using the normal national method.Are your bees happier healthier?
    Just run all standard national brood boxes without an excluder until 3 to 4 weeks before you want to extract honey. Can't really be done if you've rape in your area.
    You'll keep standard kit and there's no real difference to the bees compared to the shallower box

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Ok if you only have one or two hives but , if you have more it takes all day to find the queen , especially for swarm control etc, 11 frames in a standard brood box is enough to have to go through , I have had to deal with Rose hive method with beginners who couldn't find their queens to clip and mark and its a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

solargain wrote: »
    I have had to deal with Rose hive method with beginners who couldn't find their queens to clip and mark and its a pain

Surely if you are going to use the Rose Hive method you are not going to mark and clip the queens.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

solargain wrote: »
    Ok if you only have one or two hives but , if you have more it takes all day to find the queen , especially for swarm control etc, 11 frames in a standard brood box is enough to have to go through , I have had to deal with Rose hive method with beginners who couldn't find their queens to clip and mark and its a pain
    It's a pain having hives try to swarm because the queen wasn't given enough space. Usually have queens laying across 3 or 4 boxes. It's not really any worse to find the queen as it's much easier to pick out the most likely spot she's in. Also there's other little tricks like giving a good smoke in the entrance to drive her up into the upper boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Keeks wrote: »
    Surely if you are going to use the Rose Hive method you are not going to mark and clip the queens.....

You can be sure that I have no interest in loosing my stock or creating problems for others by letting my bees swarm out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

For sure give your queen enough space by using two or more brood boxes if you wish. You can also create nucs for your own or bought-in queens this way. But you don't need to use rose hive dimensions. Also keep the shape of the brood nest as regular as possible throughout the season - especially so in spring and autumn; and don't go putting whole boxes of empty comb between top and bottom of nest. How will they retain a cohesive (and warm enough) brood nest if one is turned into two as I saw the founder do in one of his videos. If you remove brood frames for nucs do it from the edge of the nest area

Advertisement