Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers promoting clothes

Options
  • 22-11-2017 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭

I got to thinking about this this morning...

I see all over facebook this morning that SoSue's Penney's blazer dress is in stores. I seen last week that some pair of bottoms she wore was also in store.

It reminded me back to when Pippa created such a stir with a star print dress from Penneys - everyone went mad for it but I never seen Pippa wear it again nor did I see many people actually wear it (granted I don't get out much). But I seen one blogger, Emma from Mastering Your Makeup wear it a few times. I also recall Pippa wearing some floral clothes from H&M earlier in the year, one of the tops I actually really liked and managed to get one after a struggle - but the thing is I've worn it so many times and I don't recall having seen her wearing it at all since.

What do you think of bloggers effectively being given clothes or paid to show, wear once and never to be seen again. Creates a stir, a mad scramble to Penneys for a dress that the blogger was probably paid to put on and it's never to be seen on her again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Honestly doesn't bother me. If I like it I will have a look in store and purchase if I want,

Dont mind if blogger never wears it again. It gives me an idea for an outfit. That is all.

I bought that star dress but didn't suit as big boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Wexy86

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What do you think of bloggers effectively being given clothes or paid to show, wear once and never to be seen again. Creates a stir, a mad scramble to Penneys for a dress that the blogger was probably paid to put on and it's never to be seen on her again.

I think it’s good marketing and great PR work when it’s done right. For example that star dress, I don’t really shop for clothes in Penneys but it made me go in for a nose and the dress and a few other bits. To be fair most people in the media don’t rehash outfits all too often so I’m not surprised not to see them wore again.

I follow Sinead from the beautiful truth, she’s started doing a few bits with iclothing. For some reason I assumed iclothing was just cheap tat but since Sinead has been showing their stuff he found myself looking on their site when online shopping.

It’s just showcasing certain items and creating demand and extra footfall. Same for when Kate Middleton wears something from Reiss it sells out in hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I've never bothered trying to get Penny's clothes that are advertised because I know it'll be sold out and I'm not bothered with that!

I have looked and and bought some blogger recommended stuff from ASOS and Zara, no harm really if you genuinely like the item and just happen to see it through someone you follow.

I'm not interested in items that are overly hyped though, over selling is a big turn off to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I like what Sinead from the Beautiful Truth has done with iclothing - I enjoyed her facebook live with them yesterday, she actually shows the clothes properly, talks about who they might suit, how to style them with a blazer, shoes etc.

It's the wearing a top or something from a store before it's released, creating a fuss for it and then never bothering to wear it again. I do admit - it's clever advertising on the part of the store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I actually like when bloggers show an outfits because you get an idea of what goes well together and how they are on instead of a hanger, like a mannequin. Also I think you either like an out or not and it doesn't matter how many times they wear it. It's not like a foundation for example, that they rave about when they have just put on it, but don't show what it's like after 8 hours say. Could be crap. And then we never see it again. Or skincare that they have tried a couple of times when really it should be trialled for 4 - 6 weeks to actually see what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The Pippa dress had the opposite effect on me. It was probably something I'd pick up originally, but seeing people lose their life over it and going mad in her comments section made me think wtf. I saw it in Penneys and walked straight past it. The idea that everyone and their granny would have it immediately put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've seen bloggers in penneys stuff and think wow looks great, go to Penneys for a look and it just looks/feels meh! Might just be my body!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

pc7 wrote: »
    I've seen bloggers in penneys stuff and think wow looks great, go to Penneys for a look and it just looks/feels meh! Might just be my body!
    I think merchandising in store is where Penneys are weak, the stuff doesn't look appealing or nicely laid out in store, many of the clothes don't catch your eye from the hanger. It does help when you have seen it on someone. However I've seen clothes look nice on bloggers and then gone instore looking for it only to find the material looks or feels very cheap and not as nice IRL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Doesn't really bother me if they wear it again or not. I wouldn't buy clothing just because a blogger wore it but I might be influenced to look in the shop. Like when Sinead from The Beautiful Truth featured stuff from Carrig Donn a few months ago, I had a look on their website and bought a really nice dress that I get good wear out of. I would never have thought to look there before so sending clothes out to bloggers definitely does work.

I agree with Anna though, the hype over the Pippa star dress actually put me off buying it.

Advertisement