Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binocular microscope

Options
  • 22-11-2017 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is any difference in only using one eye (ie keeping one closed and the other open) as opposed to two eyes when using a microscope with two eyepieces?

I have been trying (and failing) for a long time to be able to use a microscope with both eyes but no matter what I try I just can't seem to be able to do it. Hence, I'm wondering if there is any benefit in using one eye as opposed to two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Binocular vision gives us better depth perception than monocular cues alone (e.g. objects getting bigger/smaller). Most things viewed under a microscope are thin monolayers.
    On any microscope that I've seen there's only one object lens and the exact same image is seen through both eye pieces. So no super 3D vision.
    So no, there is no difference that I can think of. Though if you don't close one eye and have at least some binocular vision you will get no benefit.

Has an optician ever told you that you have a squint/strabismus/tropism? One eye not perfectly aligned with the other (even very slightly).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've noticed it takes people a few weeks to adjust to the binocular scopes, but when you get used to them having to close one eye gets frustrating (wrecks my head at science museums etc). The major advantage is if you have to spend all day at a scope (or more than five minutes), having to squint w/ one eye will give you a head/eyeache.

Check the adjustments (move the eyepieces together/apart, adjust one of them up/down (i never remember which)) and failing that, might be worth checking w/ the optician alright.

Tree wrote: »
    Check the adjustments (move the eyepieces together/apart, adjust one of them up/down (i never remember which)) and failing that, might be worth checking w/ the optician alright.
    I should've suggested that as a first step too!
    Turn the microscope on and have an objective lens in place. Look down the eye pieces and gently move them in and/or out until the two circles of light are centred in each eye. (There should be a number between the eye pieces for you to remember your personal settings).
    Once they're centred put something on the stage and focus it. One of the eye pieces might have a ring or collar on it that when rotated moves that eyepiece in or out. Focus the microscope with the other eyepiece alone, then close that eye and focus with the other eye adjusting the eyepiece alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I just find that I can't get my eyes themselves to focus together on a single image. When I try everything looks really blurry with loads of black dots flickering about.

I have recently started wearing glasses and the optician never mentioned anything about astigmatism but perhaps it may be worth mentioning next time.
    In the meantime, I think I might just need more practice at doing it.

Thanks for the suggestions! My supervisor in my current role has been on my case about it since I started working there (even though everything I'm looking at is flat) so I was just wondering if they were complaining for the sake of it or if they had a point.

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I just find that I can't get my eyes themselves to focus together on a single image. When I try everything looks really blurry with loads of black dots flickering about.
    It could be something as simple as learning to focus correctly - sounds simple but in practise... microscopes aren't perfect, if you focus on one area and move the stage you'll likely need to refocus. If you're moving around a good bit you should be constantly adjusting the fine focus.

As well having the microscope set up correctly for the type of microscopy e.g. low light further down from the stage for phase contrast, bright light close to the object for oil immersion, etc

If your spectacle prescription is very different between your eyes you will need a mic that lets you wear your glasses while using it or one with an adjustable eye piece. If you don't get better with practise find an optician that will spend time discussing the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement