Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Client Devices gettin wrong DHCP IP from Netgear Router bridged with Virgin hub

Options
  • 21-11-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I have VirginMedia broadband connection at home. The VirginMedia hub is in Modem mode and is connected to a Netgear Wireless Router. The IP of the VirginMedia hub is 192.168.0.1 while the IP of the Netgear router is 192.168.1.1

Five devices have been connected to the Netgear router. Every couple of days the internet connection gets disconnected and when I check the ip of the devices has automatically changed from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x

In order for the devices to work I have to change the ip of the devices to static. Then this would stop working after some time and I have to change from static to DHCP

What could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not bridged bud.
    The IP of the VirginMedia hub is 192.168.0.1

If properly done the hub assumes 192.168.100.1.

Did you get DSLite disabled on your account? Then reset the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

ED E wrote: »
    Its not bridged bud.

If properly done the hub assumes 192.168.100.1.

Did you get DSLite disabled on your account? Then reset the box?

What is DSLite?

What I did was:
    1. Accessed the VirginMedia hub via 192.168.0.1
    2. Changed to Modem mode
    3. Connected from Lan 1 port of the HUB to WAN port of NetGear router
    4. Connected the client devices to various LAN ports of the NetGear router

Do I need to bridge in a different way?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_transition_mechanism

Ask the VM customer care reps to turn off DSLite then when its done, reset your hub.

Thanks, Wud do that...

For some reason virginmedia.ie is not working now. I would try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pfx1942

I think we are missing something over here.

Even if your virgin media hub is not in bridge mode, DHCP from hub should not be available in the LAN side of Netgear router.

What other network equipment you have?
    It looks like there could be another router connected somewhere in your LAN.

• Advertisement

pfx1942 wrote: »
    I think we are missing something over here.

Even if your virgin media hub is not in bridge mode, DHCP from hub should not be available in the LAN side of Netgear router.

What other network equipment you have?
    It looks like there could be another router connected somewhere in your LAN.

1. LAN 1 port of the Virginmedia hub is connected to the WAN port of the Netgear Router ( There are 4 LAN ports on the VM hub)
    2. Three of the Netgear LAN ports are connected to SmartTV and 2 other devices
    3. The 4th port of the NetGear router is connected to a Netgear 8 port switch
    4. Couple of other devices like NAS drive are connected to the switch

Am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clemop

I had stability problems on my network when VM router was using 192.168.0.1 and my router was using 192.168.1.1 range. Router kept having to be restarted and their support couldn't figure out the issue. I eventually changed the range on the TPlink to 10.0.0.1 and the issue was resolved. Might be worth a try.

What colour is the LED on the front of the Virgin router? If white, it's not bridged. If purple or pink, it is bridged.

The LED is purple.

I contacted Virginmedia support, who confirmede that both DSLite and IPv6 are disabled.

Is my only way, to directly connect to the Virginmedia router?

OK, so you’re definitely bridged. Is there another device on your network that could possibly be issuing IP addresses? Such as a Wi-Fi access point?

• Advertisement

No. The only devices other than Virginmedia Hub and Netgear router is an 8 port netnear switch which obviously wont be issuing IP.

Would it make a difference, if I reset the Hub, change the Ip address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and then reset it back gain to Modem mode??

TestLink wrote: »
    No. The only devices other than Virginmedia Hub and Netgear router is an 8 poret netnear switch which obviously wont be issuing IP.

Would it make a difference, if I reset the Hub, change the Ip address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and then reset it back gain to Modem mode??
    It shouldn’t, because a properly bridged modem issues public IP addresses and not private ones. Even then, IPs on the WAN side shouldn’t pass through to the LAN side.

One thing you could try is when you get the wrong IP, get the default gateway IP and try it in a web browser, to see if it gives any clue as to what the device is.

Karsini wrote: »
    One thing you could try is when you get the wrong IP, get the default gateway IP and try it in a web browser, to see if it gives any clue as to what the device is.

I would try this when the IP change happens next time.

Reset the hub. Not reboot, reset. Should pull the config from the CMTS again and clear things up.

The issue happened again today. I found out that the DHCP server IP has changed from 192.168.1.1 (NetGear Wireless Router ip) to 192.168.1.4 which was the IP of my LG TV connected to one of the LAN ports of my Wireless router! See the pics.

The "Soft AP" setting was ON on the TV. I turned it off now. The WiFi direct and MiraCast / Intel WiDi was already off. Hope this would solve the issue. Any thoughts?

th_137870499_20171201_181024_122_168lo.jpg th_137871203_InternetIssue_122_371lo.JPG

Wow, I’ve never heard of a TV acting as a DHCP server but I guess it’s possible on a smart TV. Good find. :)

Your TV

Was

Broadcasting

DHCP....

HeftyFavorableArmedcrab-max-1mb.gif

This is the problem when marketing decide everything has to be smart. Ill buy a chromecast and give me a dumb tv, kettle, fridge etc every day.

Advertisement