Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí smash Kerry crime gang

Options
  • 21-11-2017 6:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

Gardaí in Kerry have smashed an organised crime gang in which cash, jewlery, cars and thousands in mixed currencies were recovered. Among the findings were documents relating to fraud and deception in which substandard jobs were done and in some cases not at all with extortionate money being demanded. A lot of the victims are believed to be vulnerable and old.

Great to see the Gardaí stomping this out. What can be done to eliminate this totally?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/over-500-000-in-cars-cash-and-jewellery-seized-in-criminal-assets-bureau-raids-1.3299963?mode=amp

We need to refuse work from workmen who are not VAT registered.

Advice elderly or vulnerable neighbours of the dangers.

Don’t buy power tools at car boot sales.

Don’t pay in cash, if you do, demand a VAT receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hopefully another town in Limerick is given the same treatment over Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Or rhino horns for that matter

Sorry :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I seen a wide shot of all the cars the sized. Some nice vehicles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Who’d be doing this though? It all seems fishy. Drug cartel laundering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Gardaí in Kerry have smashed an organised crime gang in which cash, jewlery, cars and thousands in mixed currencies were recovered. Among the findings were documents relating to fraud and deception in which substandard jobs were done and in some cases not at all with extortionate money being demanded. A lot of the victims are believed to be vulnerable and old.

Great to see the Gardaí stomping this out. What can be done to eliminate this totally?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/over-500-000-in-cars-cash-and-jewellery-seized-in-criminal-assets-bureau-raids-1.3299963?mode=amp

We need to refuse work from workmen who are not VAT registered.

Advice elderly or vulnerable neighbours of the dangers.

Longer sentences for those who are convicted of fraud/theft etc against the elderly would be a good starting point

Also consecutive sentences not concurrent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Please say its the healy raes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are in contact with any older or vulnerable people you could print off a few of these and warn them -

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Bogus%20Callers%20Doc.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

And Don't make any unnecessary journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I wonder are they members of a recently recognised ethnic minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Just on the news now.Operation "Tarmac". Answers the question I asked.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »

If that is the case, will Pavee Point comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's what Enda will be remembered for especially down the country

They will in their bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Or rhino horns for that matter

We were offered a kangoo hammer by a gentleman who was selling items door to door.

If they have been wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its part of their culture boss.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Only a half a mil? Pfft, they'll hardly notice it's gone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just on the news now. Operation "Tarmac". Answers the question I asked.

That's priceless - in jest or for serious?

It's true! :D
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/1121/921731-garda-operation-killarney/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RasTa wrote: »
    I seen a wide shot of all the cars the sized. Some nice vehicles

Are the seized vehicles sold off in the end, always curious about that, what happens?

Preying on the older vulnerable, scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

This has been a long, long running operation and has been done in conjunction with CAB ...a few more arrests to be made I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are the seized vehicles sold off in the end, always curious about that, what happens?

Preying on the older vulnerable, scumbags

Usually auctioned, a lot goes through Wilson's in belfast. You can see from some of the lots the mad sh1te drug lords spent their money on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Hannah's Mike and Jimmy's Pa will be down to the Social tomorrow, swearing on the holy pictures, that they've no money to feed their 17 childers.
    They'll be out offering to do the tarmac; powerwashing; gutters, etc; around South Kerry the day after.

Will the people who claim certain stolen items (with good proof it belongs to them) get it back?

Will criminal or civil proceedings be taken agains the perpetrators?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Will the people who claim certain stolen items (with good proof it belongs to them) get it back?

Will criminal or civil proceedings be taken agains the perpetrators?

If you can prove something is yours the cops will give it back but what happens is some items are kept as evidence so may be a while getting back to rightful owner.

If you can prove something is yours the cops will give it back but what happens is some items are kept as evidence so may be a while getting back to rightful owner.

If the rightful owner can prove ownership, will the perpetrators have to pay compensation for loss of work tools when the items are being held as evidence? Seems only fair.

jamesbere wrote: »
    Please say its the healy raes

T'was all gifts from the faeries boys, now wisht and sit yeerselves down in front that fire and we'll have a little dropeen lads, sure there's no harm done at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hannah's Mike and Jimmy's Pa will be down to the Social tomorrow, swearing on the holy pictures, that they've no money to feed their 17 childers.
    They'll be out offering to do the tarmac; powerwashing; gutters, etc; around South Kerry the day after.

I assume if bank accounts frozen also any social welfare payments would be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

They'll be paused. Other payments will be made. Can't have the Childers starve after all.

They'll have to explain where the money came from. The designer gear. And how they paid for the card eye etc

The big problem is .... They can claim all of it as gifts.

My cousin in england gave me that for xmas.

It's brilliant that the guards have confiscated money etc etc but I fear it's just a short term win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If the rightful owner can prove ownership, will the perpetrators have to pay compensation for loss of work tools when the items are being held as evidence? Seems only fair.

Let's get real here. When does the victim of a crime ever get to claim compensation for loss of earnings as a result - regardless of who the offenders are?

Advertisement