Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incredibles 2

Options
  • 21-11-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Only a teaser, but I'm surprised it didn't make an appearance here

From the video's description:
    Disney/Pixar's "Incredibles 2" opens in theatres in 3D June 15th, 2018.

Everyone’s favorite family of superheroes is back in “Incredibles 2” – but this time Helen (voice of Holly Hunter) is in the spotlight, leaving Bob (voice of Craig T. Nelson) at home with Violet (voice of Sarah Vowell) and Dash (voice of Huck Milner) to navigate the day-to-day heroics of “normal” life. It’s a tough transistion for everyone, made tougher by the fact that the family is still unaware of baby Jack-Jack’s emerging superpowers. When a new villain hatches a brilliant and dangerous plot, the family and Frozone (voice of Samuel L. Jackson) must find a way to work together again—which is easier said than done, even when they’re all Incredible.

More Frozone, which should make people happy!

🤪

Comments

It will need to be something special. I still hold The Incredibles to be one of the best Pixar, if not one of the best animated movies, ever made.

It was the perfect mixture of light, dark, and gut bursting funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teasers for the teaser trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1m:31s Teaser From the Olympics:

• Advertisement

She's not the Mean

She's the Mode! :D (WHAAAAAATT??!?!?) :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new trailer has popped up; I have high hopes for this one. Like many I regard the original as the dark horse of Pixar's back catalogue and arguably one of its best productions

:D Where you going
    ASAP?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Whatever about this movie,
    The Incredible's is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Watched Incredibles again last night. Not as out-and-out funny as I remember, but really enjoyed it again and so well done. Looking forward to the sequel; new trailer looks good. And Bob Odenkirk is a very welcome addition.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Incredibles 2 doesn’t move the story or the characters on a whole lot. In some ways, the plot feels like a minor complication for the Parr family, and when we leave them we’re only a few steps beyond where we were when we left them all those years ago. In some ways this aspect of the film is to be welcomed - in particular when it comes to the half of the film set in the new Parr family home - but there’s a niggling sense that there’s more to the Incredibles concept than we see here. The first song on the soundtrack is simply titled Episode 2 - and that feels apt.

While grander characterisation and world building would undoubtedly have been nice (albeit within the confines of the playful domestic drama that defines the series), it ultimately matters little given what a blast this is. The Incredibles is among the most imaginative and exciting superhero films, liberated from the boring confines of live action. Bird capably lives up to that legacy here. The action is splendidly staged, and there’s one brawl in a confined space that’s perhaps the finest visual moment of these two films. The powers of the existing characters and a host of new ones are exploited beautifully for crystal clear choreography featuring all sorts of colliding superpowers.

It also is overflowing with visual wit and humour - Jack Jack’s powers gradually revealing themselves proves a source of sustained delight, well beyond a superb setpiece duel with a rodent. The humour boasts a welcome slapstick streak that feels like it’s been inspired by silent comedy, with sharp editing to match the imagination. It’s just also in general a funny, warm film - if the characters don’t move forward a whole lot, the family dynamics remain endearing.

To say it’s Pixar’s best in years is somewhat faint praise, given it’s been quite some time since their last absolute knockout (albeit with a few pleasant diversions along the way). But this absolutely is a recent highlight: a film that doesn’t feel quite as shackled to their house style as their other recent films have. Bird remains an animation director of the highest standing and ability. Sure, there’s a feeling the Incredibles concept could be explored further, beyond another hybrid domestic comedy and action spectacle. But hey, it’s still a hell of a lot of fun, and that alone justifies the return of Hollywood’s most enjoyable and imaginative superhero series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Inside Out is one of Pixar's best ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

mystic86 wrote: »
    Inside Out is one of Pixar's best ever!

I know Im in the minority here but I found Inside Out a chore to sit through. Annoying characters, humourless and over sentimental. Coco on the other hand....brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Wailin wrote: »
    I know Im in the minority here but I found Inside Out a chore to sit through. Annoying characters, humourless and over sentimental. Coco on the other hand....brilliant!

I found Inside Out to be more clever than entertaining. It is a really smart screenplay but it never really got me on an emotional level, ironically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Wailin wrote: »

Couldn't agree more,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thought Incredibles 2 was great. It looks really good with the powers on display massively stepped up from the original - not only Jack Jack (who is an entertaining delight throughout), but there are some side characters with visually impressive powers too. Great humour throughout too.

The plot itself is interesting with the dad having to adjust to family life and cope with being the background figure who both needs his wife to succeed and is insanely jealous that it's not him front and centre. As johnny_ultimate says, it doesn't make massive strides forward in terms of progression, but I never felt short changed.

Definitely worth the wait!

🤪

Absolute bore fest. Fell asleep for a few mins during it. Haven’t done that in years
    A few funny bits but overall a really empty hollow movie

Couldn’t wait for it to end,

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I see it's finally made it to the Odeon in Limerick. Deffo seeing it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

youngblood wrote: »
    Whatever about this movie,
    The Incredible's is one of the best superhero movies ever made.

i think thats the problem for me.

im just back from this and i enjoyed it alright, its just not a patch on the first.

theres great set pieces, and i loved the inventiveness of the side characters powers (including the villain which was a wonderful creation).

its just seemed lacking something that the original had.

i DID love the jack jack/racoon fight though. that was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have seen it twice in the last few days really enjoyed it, the detail is astounding (down to the ice in glasses) even if the story is a little simplistic and threadbare, especially compared to the original. But the set pieces at some parts are astonishing. I enjoyed the new characters as well.

Jack Jack (racoon scene, down to the way he eats even) and to a lesser extent Edna steal the film (with very little time on screen).

I also loved the Bao short surprised it seems to have really divided people.

Its on the good side of pixar for me preferred it to finding dory.

8/10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Incredibles 2 was hilarious
    While not quite as good as the first Incredibles plotwise it was much more funny than the original I thought
    A very acceptable sequel
    gmisk wrote: »
    I also loved the Bao short surprised it seems to have really divided people.

Bao was amazing, I'm shocked that so many didn't "get it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I loved the movie, especially the Jack Jack vs Raccoon sequence, but was a bit disappointed that Edna didn’t get more lines. She’s my fave, her lines in the 1st movie (hobo suit, no cape!) were great. It also felt a *teeny* bit sexist to me. Mr Incredible is raging coz he has to stay home while Mrs Incredible gets the limelight. Still, I loved it overall & thought Bob Odenkirk did a great job as Winston.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just as gracefully fun and smart as the previous film, a perfectly weighted sequel that maintained the Pixar magic we come to expect; and rather than trying to escalate its action, it took the more interesting approach in merely upending the premise a little, tweaking the formula instead of jamming everything up to 11. Incredibles 2 was how sequels should be crafted. Though within the broader context of cinema, I think the intervening years has robbed the series of some of its individuality. For better or worse the superhero genre is the bedrock of the Hollywood blockbuster, to the point where it has already entered the parody (Deadpool) and self-reflective (Logan) phases of its existence. What felt fresh with the first Incredibles, felt more familiar in the sequel. That said, if Brad Bird's own franchise has become a little overtaken by current events, those competing superhero series could still learn a lot in staging action set-pieces that are thrilling, yet still possessing impact and tension. They may both come from computers, but the action of Incredibles 2 felt more immediate and visceral than any of the cacophony of CGI the Justice League leant on as its own source of dazzle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Having re-watched The Incredibles during the week I finally saw this today and thought it was really good - a very good sequel, not one to surpass the original but also not content to just try and coast on references to past glories. The only thing I found jarring was, having recently rewatched the first film, the change in animation style (understandable given the time between films) was a bit disconcerting.

I wish anyone making a live-action superhero film would study the two Incredibles films - the way they use and execute humour, and the choreography of their action and fight scenes are best-of-breed and should really be treated as the yardstick for other films.

One thing that does occur to me is that I don't envy whatever poor shmuck lands the eventual job of writing a Fantastic Four film for the MCU, because given the general standard of MCU films it'll fare very badly incomparison to the Incredibles films...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've no memory of the first, having only seen it on the small screen. 2 was enjoyable and the family dynamic works well. With speed, agility and precariousness, boy, does the action pop off the screen. There's more than a shade or two of Bond in there too. I recognised Odenkirk straight away, but Johnathan Banks's voice took a while to register, even though it was very familiar.

But what did the younger audience think, anyone know?
    Is she having adolescence?!
    When did they change maths?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

There was the bones of a good movie here if they weren't trying to so strongly push a liberal/feminist agenda. It wasn't even subtle.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    There was the bones of a good movie here if they weren't trying to so strongly push a liberal/feminist agenda. It wasn't even subtle.

We're truly through the looking glass of paranoia if gender-flipping the domestic stereotype of a family is a "feminist agenda".

If anything, the whole subplot of "Oh my god, a MAN taking care of the family - what madness!?!" was a little cliché and archaic, while the main plot just reversed the narrative from the first film, putting Bob's coping with NOT being in the spotlight to the test; but hey, sure, the liberals are at the gates :) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saw this last night and thought it was great, for me just as good as the first one.... really well paced and the attention to detail is really something else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I made the mistake of watching this back-to-back with the first one. While it's very good and hits all the same beats as the original, the premise was weak. Maybe if it had come out in 2007, but I have a hard time believing this took them 14 years to come up with. Which begs the question, what was the point? Money obviously but Pixar's best sequels have managed to feel like a progression.

-
    pixelburp wrote: »
    If anything, the whole subplot of "Oh my god, a MAN taking care of the family - what madness!?!" was a little cliché and archaic, while the main plot just reversed the narrative from the first film, putting Bob's coping with NOT being in the spotlight to the test; but hey, sure, the liberals are at the gates :) :rolleyes:

Agreed. Also it's not like she sets out to become the sole breadwinner. She does it because she has to, not because she's a feminist. Consider also the time period. Isn't it meant to be set in the 60s? Like most of Pixar's output, the focus on the family makes it fairly conservative IMO.

Advertisement