Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sgt McCabe the only truthful person in our Justice system?

Options
  • 21-11-2017 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

During the O'Higgins Commission of Investigation, senior Gardai lied in order to discredit Sgt Maurice McCabe.
    From all accounts, ex-Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan’s legal team had instigated the "strategy" and it nearly worked.
    They would have got away with it except that McCabe produced taped evidence showing they were telling lies.

Nothing has happened to those senior Gardai since.

And now the justice Minister is lying about when she heard of about this strategy to discredit McCabe.
    Tánaiste received email alerting her to concerns about row at the O’Higgins' Commission – but doesn’t remember it

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tnaiste-received-email-alerting-her-to-concerns-about-row-at-the-ohiggins-commission-but-doesnt-remember-it-36340156.html

What the hell is going on? Where is the accountability?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have to admit the first words I uttered were 'ah here ffs', I'm sure she like all the rest of us has a mailbox full of spammy mails but on something so serious??? Oliver North.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A cesspit of corruption

During the O'Higgins Commission of Invetigation, senior Gardai lied in order to discredit Sgt Maurice McCabe.
    From all accounts, ex-Garda Commissioner Noirin O’Sullivan’s legal team had instigated the "strategy" and it nearly worked.

I doubt very much that a legal team instructed third parties and witnesses to lie, I don't know of anyone who would risk their practicing certificate in that way.

Of course, it may be convenient for people who lie in evidence (and I'm not saying these people have) to say they were told to by lawyers, but you'll find it's very rarely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The scandal machine is active again by the looks of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland does not do consequences for those in public office. The upper echelons are largely corrupt and dishonourable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I doubt very much that a legal team instructed third parties and witnesses to lie, I don't know of anyone who would risk their practicing certificate in that way.

Of course, it may be convenient for people who lie in evidence (and I'm not saying these people have) to say they were told to by lawyers, but you'll find it's very rarely true.

I guess there are instructions and there's turning a blind eye but I did hear that McCabe's legal team were furious with the Gardai's legal team when they saw the smear that senior Gardai tried to do dishonestly. It beggars belief that they would try this scam during a Commission of Inquiry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I guess there are instructions and there's turning a blind eye but I did hear that McCabe's legal team were furious with the Gardai's legal team when they saw the smear that senior Gardai tried to do dishonestly. It beggars belief that they would try this scam during a Commission of Inquiry!

...and then that the testimony sworn to by a Chief Superintendent is withdrawn, with seemingly no questions asked whatsoever, by the commissioner, by the minister or her department. A garda of that rank has a great deal of power devolved to them - any incident that undermines their word would demand investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

It is getting murkier (if that were possible)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fresh-criticism-for-frances-fitzgerald-as-varadkar-again-corrects-the-dail-record-36343584.html
    The Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, again defended his deputy prime minister. But in another serious development he was again obliged to correct the Dáil record about events surrounding the controversy.
    On this occasion Mr Varadkar said Ms Fitzgerald was in fact aware of lawyers’ moves against Sgt McCabe before he was cross-examined at the O’Higgins Commission of Inquiry in May 2015.

The Taoiseach also said he had spoken for up to 20 minutes on phone with Sgt McCabe yesterday. He was mainly concerned that Sgt McCabe would know in advance of information concerning him which would emerge soon afterwards in Dáil debates.
    Mr Varadkar said Sgt McCabe challenged assertions that the O’Higgins inquiry proceedings ever dealt with false allegations of sex abuse against him. The Taoiseach said this appeared to conflict with the text of the controversial Justice Department email which emerged in recent days.

“So, that leaves us all in a position where we are all a little bit confused,” the Taoiseach said.

Advertisement