Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hive or nest installer

Options
  • 21-11-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

anyone familiar with professional private hive or nest installer?
    i want to install one but don't want to buy it through the company.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: OP I have moved your thread, you may get a better response in this forum.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you scroll to the bottom of the following page, you can find Nest installers in your area:

https://nest.com/ie/thermostats/nest-learning-thermostat/overview/

However to be honest, any electrician/RGII should be able to do it. They aren't much different from a regular thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

By the time you buy one at full price and pay for the install you would have spent more than it cost with electric Ireland including the higher unit prices

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Hi,

Can someone pm me a nest installer recommendation in South Dublin please? What would a reasonable price be please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dani_Din

ted1 wrote: »
    By the time you buy one at full price and pay for the install you would have spent more than it cost with electric Ireland including the higher unit prices
    i prefer to pay a higher price then to be attached to any of the electrical companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

ted1 wrote: »

This was not my conclusion when I crunched the numbers. It worked out cheaper to buy myself and get the cheapest supplier of gas and cheapest supplier of electricity (two separate suppliers).

Bord Gais will provide Hive for free if you sign up for two years. However, they only provide their discount energy prices for one year - so you're robbed in the second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lostphrophet

This was not my conclusion when I crunched the numbers. It worked out cheaper to buy myself and get the cheapest supplier of gas and cheapest supplier of electricity (two separate suppliers).

Bord Gais will provide Hive for free if you sign up for two years. However, they only provide their discount energy prices for one year - so you're robbed in the second year.

As a matter of fact metric who did you find to be the cheapest gas and leccy. I did what you did also bought the Nest direct ill get someone to fit. Should only take 1 hour if even , should not be more then 80 to 100 euro I would of thought to have fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

As a matter of fact metric who did you find to be the cheapest gas and leccy.

I signed up about 6 months ago and chose Energia for electricity and Electric Ireland for gas. Things may have changed in the mean time. If you Google comparison sites you'll find the info easily for who is the cheapest for you right now (obviously it's dependent on your usage).

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can break out of a 2 year Bord Gais contract (or any supplier). They will have a fixed fee penalty from what I remember.

So it may be worthwhile for example to sign up to Bord Gais for 2 years and get Hive free, then break out of the contract before the 2 years is up (certainly after the first year when you revert back to non-discounted rates).

At the time I looked into this, the terms & conditions of Bord Gais contract stated that you owned the Hive equipment. So even if you break the contract before the 2 years are up, Bord Gais cannot take back the equipment.

People break out of fixed rate mortgages all the time to switch to a provider with lower rate, and pay a fixed penalty to current mortgage provider. It's no different with energy providers, so if it makes financial sense to the consumer then obviously it's an approach to consider.

Advertisement