Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental illness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Surely there is no other explanation for this story or indeed the entire website:
    http://www.viralnewsnetwork.net/bill-gates-nwo-agenda-21-george-soros-depopulate-world/

People who write this are either insane or trolling.

Much like those concerned by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

People who write this are either insane or trolling.
    Or they are profiting from it and they are using slick propaganda techniques to trick people with deliberate dishonesty.

I think there are many well-meaning people who have been duped by such things and are tricked by the deceptive feeding of information, then pass it along without much in the way of critical though.

I think it's possible that ideas and stories like this could even arise and grow by themselves without anyone actually starting them with malicious intent.

I don't think that mental illness is a particularly good explanation for articles and theories like that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Edward M wrote: »
    Much like those concerned by it!

Well, that's the problem. When people don't vaccinate their kids, it becomes a real world problem and actually dangerous.
    It's one thing being concerned about the Lizard People, thinking that black helicopters are after them and that the moon is a listening post built by aliens, but where is the line between having fun with conspiracies and actual psychosis and delusions? I'm not joking or exaggerating, I know people who very seriously believe this sh*t and actually think the Gardai and various spooks are following them when they're in town shopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

King Mob wrote: »
    Or they are profiting from it and they are using slick propaganda techniques to trick people with deliberate dishonesty.

I think there are many well-meaning people who have been duped by such things and are tricked by the deceptive feeding of information, then pass it along without much in the way of critical though.

I think it's possible that ideas and stories like this could even arise and grow by themselves without anyone actually starting them with malicious intent.

I don't think that mental illness is a particularly good explanation for articles and theories like that one.

I absolutely believe that these stories are started by unscrupulous people who run clickbait websites to make money. To me that's borderline criminal.
    But the people who sincerely believe this stuff are normally of a vulnerable disposition, because I am not aware of anyone with an IQ above a tea-cozy who would believe this for a single second.
    So my conspiracy theory could go 2 ways. Either crooks making money with bulls*t, or in the spirit of the forum, maybe it is deliberate lies spread by "them" in the ruling elite to misinform and confuse the "sheeple" and have them run after red herrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I absolutely believe that these stories are started by unscrupulous people who run clickbait websites to make money. To me that's borderline criminal.
    But the people who sincerely believe this stuff are normally of a vulnerable disposition, because I am not aware of anyone with an IQ above a tea-cozy who would believe this for a single second.
    So my conspiracy theory could go 2 ways. Either crooks making money with bulls*t, or in the spirit of the forum, maybe it is deliberate lies spread by "them" in the ruling elite to misinform and confuse the "sheeple" and have them run after red herrings.
    A lot of this stuff seems convincing if you aren't analyzing it critically.

Like for instance the idea of a depopulation conspiracy has been around for a very long time, so there's a ton of stuff out there about it.
    All of it is bunk of course, but when it all gets thrown at you all at once it can seem like overwhelming evidence. Especially if you don't apply critical thought to it.

I don't think it's mental illness to not be skeptical, everyone does it in one way or another now and then.

However, in your example, where a person believes they are being stalked by hundreds of people in a conspiracy against them: then it's possibly mental illness.
    There's a lot of sites out there that call this "organised stalking" and it's been brought up a few times here as well.
    It's a bit sad as it's a type of delusion that seems difficult to overcome, since anyone trying to help would appear to be part of the conspiracy.
    It's also a bit annoying as entertaining the idea as anything other than a delusion would just aggravate the problem for the person...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The hilarious thing about the depopulation conspiracy theory is that since it first started getting spouted, the worlds population has been increasing.

Advertisement