Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prohibited subject combinations

Options
  • 21-11-2017 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I was discussing with friends recently about the subject combinations for L.C. that you're not allowed to take due to course overlap, such as Classics with Greek/Latin or Economics with Agri. Economics.

This is purely hypothetical but I was curious to know if the SEC allow you to take one of these combinations if you do not intend to count both of the involved subjects for points?

I'm fully aware that it wouldn't be a smart move, and do not plan to do it, but for example if someone took 7 HL subjects in school that included Classics but also did Latin as an extracurricular hobby and wished to take the exam in order to track their progress - would there be any outstanding issues with them taking the paper but not counting both for points?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would send the computer mad.

Nothing to stop someone doing Classics one year and Latin the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

The reason you're not allowed to do those subjects is mainly that the courses have substantial overlap. In terms of Classics and Latin for example, both courses teach the Aeneid as a part of their syllabus. It's almost like a student would be getting two grades for half the work. It's just not fair from an exam point of view, for someone to achieve better results than someone who does two completely different subjects.

And I'm aware that other subjects have overlaps (like Chemistry and Physics both teaching radiation for example) but that overlap isn't very large and doesn't take much work away from either course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubsli97

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    The reason you're not allowed to do those subjects is mainly that the courses have substantial overlap. In terms of Classics and Latin for example, both courses teach the Aeneid as a part of their syllabus. It's almost like a student would be getting two grades for half the work. It's just not fair from an exam point of view, for someone to achieve better results than someone who does two completely different subjects.

And I'm aware that other subjects have overlaps (like Chemistry and Physics both teaching radiation for example) but that overlap isn't very large and doesn't take much work away from either course.

I'm fully aware of this and agree that it would be unfair to allow someone to extract points from both subjects. I didn't mean this to come across as a complaint. My reason for asking this is because I've seen a few people say things like "You could technically sit both exams but they wouldn't allow you to count both for points" in older threads about phys/chem and such, and wondered if you actually could or if they just phrased it that way to stress the fact that you can't count both for points.

Also, I agree that it's unfair for someone to achieve better results for doing less work. However when it comes down to it most people only care about how many points someone got, not the individual grades themselves.

Advertisement