Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long walk challenges

Options
  • 20-11-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have done the Moylagh JFK 50 Mile for the past 2 years and i just registered to do the Art O niell challange(sadly i didnt get picked)

Does anyone know any other walks like this.
    Im not into the running thing. I will walk all day long.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

Outdoor Pursuits might be a better thread for your enquiry... but anyway here is a link that will help.

https://mountainviews.ie/challengecalendar/

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Thanks.

Can I ask a mod to move this thread please and thanks
    Outdoor Pursuits might be a better thread for your enquiry... but anyway here is a link that will help.

https://mountainviews.ie/challengecalendar/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Dingle Way Challenge

Sligo Camino

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>moved from Athletics / Running</mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peter Walker

To make further use of MV for ideas, you could look at the list of uploaded GPS tracks...

https://mountainviews.ie/track/

Pan down to the foot of the page to see the list (by default the page starts by showing the most recently uploaded track in full)...if you click on the top of the length (or ascent, depending on whatever your 'bag' is) column the list will be sorted with that as the criterion. 

Ignore the first one...that's the result of our former Secretary wicklore leaving his GPS switched on during the drive to and from the Mournes! The second walk listed under length is the Hart Walk, whose objective is to walk from Dublin city to the top of Lug and back in a day. You should find a fair few more ideas if you keep looking down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Myself and a few friends started a Mountaineering Ireland affiliated club in September specifically for challenging/strenuous walks.

We do one walk a month (first Saturday) in different locations around the Country. October was Galty's, November was Wicklow, December is Mourne's, January is Comeragh's etc. etc..

Because of it's nature, it's for self-navigators only as the walks aren't led and fitness levels vary. We start the walks at 07:00, because they're long and have a lot of height gain. We do offer members alternatives to the longer routes via a club forum and gpx files.

It's just a group of like-minded folk who (mostly) know each other from the Challenge Walks circuit.

We've 26 members at the moment from all around the Country (and one from France).

We're on FB & Twitter and the name of the club is Na Sléibhte Hillwalking Club.

Advertisement