Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrials and impact on victim's relatives.

Options
  • 20-11-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-42053383
    A man who murdered his former partner at her County Londonderry workplace has been sentenced to 13 years.
    Fred McClenaghan shot Marion Millican in the chest at a Portstewart laundrette in 2011.
    McClenaghan made a U-turn admission to murder during his third trial.
    He had previously only admitted manslaughter but was twice convicted and jailed for murder.
    However, both of those convictions were overturned on appeal.
    Sentencing McClenaghan, the judge said Mrs Millican's family and friends had suffered "profound personal grief" at her loss.

I know that the murder in this case in NI but, like the Republic, it is a common-law jusrisdiction.

I don't know why his original conviction for murder and his conviction from the first retrial were overturned but I'm aware that, in other cases, the original conviction was quashed because the judge misdirected the jury.

Would a change in the law whereby counsel for the defence could interrupt the judge's charge to the jury after both sides' closing speeches in the event of misdirection taking place without being held in contempt of court help prevent prolonging of the pain that is felt by relatives of murder victims and victims of other crimes who are still alive, e.g. sexual offences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I'm sure id would effect the victims families a lot but a wrongful conviction will effect the accused even more

Advertisement