Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good commuting bike

Options
  • 20-11-2017 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to get a bike on the cycle to work scheme. Preferably a hybrid. I do a 12km cycle (each way) to work on a road bike and it's not the most comfortable. I've a bit of arthritis in my ankles, so i don't want to be struggling too much against a heavy bike.

I've all the gear, just need a bike that is light, but also comfortable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think some bike shops like to foist bikes on people, especially when they hear it's for the cycle to work scheme!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you considered a pedelec?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on a road bike and it's not the most comfortable.
    any part in particular you find uncomfortable? shoulders/hands?
    it's possible your current bike is uncomfortable because it's a bad fit or badly adjusted, rather than because it's a road bike, per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

homer911 wrote: »
    Have you considered a pedelec?
    I have but that's a bit down the line for me yet. I enjoy the exercise.
    any part in particular you find uncomfortable? shoulders/hands?
    it's possible your current bike is uncomfortable because it's a bad fit or badly adjusted, rather than because it's a road bike, per se.

The bike is fine, just a bit light. I'm afraid i'll come off because of a pothole or slipping on feckin leaves or something.

I'm still getting used to city commuting. I moved up from the country to Dublin, so i'd prefer the upright position on a hybrid, just so i can go around like a nosy bollix with my head up, taking in the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Trek fx s4 would be my recommendation. Got this one after frame on my trek fx7.5 cracked after 9 years.
    Very good bike for getting to and from work.
    Also decent ride for a longer spins.

twinsen wrote: »
    Trek fx s4 would be my recommendation. Got this one after frame on my trek fx7.5 cracked after 9 years.
    Very good bike for getting to and from work.
    Also decent ride for a longer spins.

I like the look of that! I'm thinking I'll use the full 1k and back it with a few quid myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Using a Boardman Hybrid Pro myself , understand Halfords have put the price up but new model coming out so price on this year's should drop.

Really light and really easy to handle. Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Get something with mudguards, dynamo hub for lights, rack for panniers. I like my Scott Sub Sport for commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've both a road bike and a hybrid, and for commuting I'd recommend a hybrid over the road back any time.

I'll take the road bike out on spins over about 50km but I've all but given up on it as a commuter.

Rack, panniers and mudguards plus wide flat bars really makes them far, far more usable.

If you start off on a road bike and go to a hybrid you'll notice the lack of speed initially but get your head around that and the comfort of the hybrid is the pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

I need to get a bike as well. Any shops in town that sell the Boardman Hybrid Bike mentioned above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think halfords have the exclusive deal for boardman.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys. I went for a trek fx s4 2018. Nice light frame and seriously comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I need to get a bike as well. Any shops in town that sell the Boardman Hybrid Bike mentioned above?
    i think halfords have the exclusive deal for boardman.

^^^ This. Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Thanks for the advice guys. I went for a trek fx s4 2018. Nice light frame and seriously comfortable.
    Well done

You wont be dissapointed.

Advertisement