Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ULTIMATE What's Your Favourite Thread?

• 20-11-2017 11:15am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So basically a thread to discuss our favorite Christmassy things. I'll go first, if you want to add a category yourself please do so.

Favorite Christmas Movie?
    Favorite Christmas Song?
    Favorite Christmas TV Special?
    Favorite Present?
    Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke?
    Favorite Christmas Memory?
    Favorite Christmas Tradition?
    Favorite Christmas Ad?
    Favorite Christmas Food?

I'll go first.

Favorite Christmas Movie? Muppets Christmas Carol

Favorite Christmas Song? Shaking Stevens - Merry Xmas Everyone

Favorite Christmas TV Special - Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special

Favorite Present? - As an Adult iPad, 5 years later I still use it and it still runs like a dream, as a child looking back it was the more simpler toys, one of which was a board game version of The Crystal Maze, I hadn't asked for it but I loved the show and loved the boardgame.

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke - What do snowmen eat for breakfast? Snowflakes :D

Favorite Christmas Memory? - I vividly remember one Christmas Day when it was snowing heavily out and landing. And in general everyone being around.

Favorite Christmas Tradition? - Now a days it's putting the tree up before the Toy Show, it's stressful, exhausting but the moment you get to sit down beside the tree and the lights are lighting up the room... perfect!

Favorite Christmas Ad? - The Guinness One hands down.

Favorite Christmas Food? - It has to be the sweets! :) I love them all haha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Favorite Christmas Movie?Has to be Home Alone

Favorite Christmas Song?Tough one but ill go with Fairy tail of New York - my wifes and I song

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Gavin and Stacey - 100% love love love

Favorite Present? Nintendo when I was 6 or 7

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke? No recollection of one :-(

Favorite Christmas Memory?Last Christmas first one my two kids could walk dod n stairs together

Favorite Christmas Tradition?Christmas eve morning I sit the kids and wife in sitting room and they get some presents and tell them what they mean to me and some things that they have done during the year that I am proud of. Lovely tradition that has grown over the years

Favorite Christmas Ad?An old AIB ad. Some lad is at his work Christmas party. Or the Guinness one!

Favorite Christmas Food? Turkey, ham and stuffing sambo with can of Guinness, pickled onions and king crisps on Christmas night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Favourite Christmas Movie? Home Alone, when Kevin runs out of the Church just before 8pm and the music kicks in, that’s when Xmas is officially started!
    Favourite Christmas Song? Driving Home for Xmas – Chris Rea

Favourite Christmas TV Special? The Office (UK)

Favourite Present? GI Joe – base when I was 8. It was awesome, biggest toy I ever had. -EDIT- also a Sega Mega Drive, it wasn't on my list, Santa thought I'd like it!

Favourite Christmas Cracker Joke? What do you call a Woodpecker without a beak? [/B] A head banger.

Favourite Christmas Memory? I’ve been lucky that every Xmas has been fantastic and I look back fondly on all of them, the collection of Xmas’ together are great. But I always loved calling down to my cousin’s house for an hour or two before heading home for dinner.

Favourite Christmas Tradition? In recent year’s its been Xmas Eve pints with the lads then home for toasted ham sandwiches cut from the Xmas Day ham.

Favourite Christmas Ad?
    TV – classic: Coca-Cola truck, Irn Bru snowman for the tongue in cheek nature
    TV – “new”: John Lewis snowman or bear & the hare (closely run by Paddington this year)
    Radio – the Barry’s tea advert

Favourite Christmas Food? Turkey and Ham

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

razorblunt wrote: »

Favourite Christmas TV Special? The Office (UK)

Favourite Christmas Tradition? In recent year’s its been Xmas Eve pints with the lads then home for toasted ham sandwiches cut from the Xmas Day ham.

Great picks! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Favorite Christmas Movie? - Has to be National lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Favorite Christmas Song? - Slade & Merry Christmas Everybody
    Favorite Christmas TV Special? - All the "Only Fools & Horses" ones - like the repeats they have on Dave & the likes
    Favorite Present? Used to be the Blue Peter Annual and then the Guinness Book of Records, but I've probably grown out of that now
    Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke?What song do you sing at a snowman's birthday party?

Freeze a jolly good fellow!
    Favorite Christmas Memory? A very long time ago - I was probably 6, and it was snowing XMas Eve - was still a believer then, and I dreamt vividly visualising Santa bringing the presents in his sleigh, flying to our rooftop. Woke and went downstairs with the rest of the family and got a cowboy outfit - loved my cowboys and indians in those days
    Favorite Christmas Tradition?Boxing Day....

Favorite Christmas Ad? Nothing beats a bit of Old Spice :pac:
    Favorite Christmas Food? - although I'm vegetarian it's not Nut Roast! Can't beat my annual doses of sprouts and roast parsnips

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Favourite Christmas Movie? - It's a Wonderful Life, we watch it every year when we're wrapping things for the kids (on Father Christmas behalf since he is so busy this timepiece of year)

Favourite Christmas Song? - Have a few. Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea, Fairy tale of New York by The Pogues/Kirsty MacColl and Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.

Favourite Christmas TV Special - Father Ted (though not that Christmassy)

Favourite Present? - I got a Mickey Mouse roller coaster I loved as a child, and a Lego castle. My parents buying me PS1 was a great surprise when I was older.

Favourite Christmas Cracker Joke - who hides in the Bakers? A mince spy.

Favourite Christmas Memory? - Nearly every year really, I love Christmas. All the early ones when my mum was still around, then later ones with my dad buying his bizarre Grandparent presents he'd get for the kids. They're the most vivid memories I have of both my parents so makes Christmas even better.

Favourite Christmas Tradition? - Difficult to have same tradition for Christmas day as I often have to work it but I carry on a couple that my dad always did. I have to open the door to check whether Father Christmas has been or not and we always have sausage/cheese and onion rolls when we open our pressies.

Favourite Christmas Ad? - Guinness, hands down.

Favourite Christmas Food? - Sweets are great, also have loads of cheese at Christmas too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Favorite Christmas Movie? Toss up between The Muppets Christmas Carol & Narrow Escape (if you haven't seen it, watch it, it's awesome, definite tear jerker!).

Favorite Christmas Song? Bing Crosbie & David Bowie: Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Not a big Christmas Special fan....possibly Vicar of Dibley where she eats all the Christmas dinners lol

Favorite Present? My little girl...even though she didn't arrive until December 27th

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke?Can't think of one!

Favorite Christmas Memory? Oh, tough to choose! Probably the time one of our neighbours dressed up as Santy and called to our house & gave us a 10penny mix! He was wearing blue suade shoes - my mam was sure we'd realise who it was....never copped on. We were in awe that Santy was in our house!

Favorite Christmas Tradition?As kids, Christmas Night in my Nana's with all our aunties and cousins. Now, it's putting up the tree with my own kids!

Favorite Christmas Ad? Barry's Tea on the radio...hands down. Gets me every time!

Favorite Christmas Food? I love it all, I'm a savage lol! Probably my mam's sausage meat stuffing - between myself, my brother & my sister, we'd probably kill each other for the last bit of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Favorite Christmas Movie?
    National Lampoon Christmas Vacation and its a wonderful life, simply cant separate them.

Favorite Christmas Song? Fairytale of New York, the pogues, do they know its christmas, band aid & on the 24th by The Twang
    Favorite Christmas TV Special? Did love the aformentioned Gavin & Stacey one but that was a complete one off, so I'll go with Dr Who.
    Favorite Present? I remember getting a black Raleigh Burner (night burner) as a complete surprise around the age of 10 or so, loved it.
    Favorite Christmas Memory? The first year the twins were old enough to 'get' christmas & woke us up to go down & see if santa had been... the looks on their little faces when they walked in to see their presents will stay with me till the day I die, 100% pure gold. Christmas with the kids will be something I'll always look back at with a big smile on my face & I dread the day they inevitably lose their innocence about the whole thing.
    Favorite Christmas Tradition? Getting the kids washed & into their new PJ's on christmas eve, lots of photos getting them to bed & then settling in to watch its a wonderful life with the Mrs.
    Favorite Christmas Ad? Guinness, it'll never be topped IMO
    Favorite Christmas Food? All of it, I love Mince Pies, christmas pud, turkey with cranberry sauce, ham, the lot.... all washed down with a few guinness.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Favorite Christmas Movie? Bridget Jones (1) and Love Actually are two very cosy /Christmassy movies that I always love to watch this time of year
    Favorite Christmas Song? Fairytale of New York
    Favorite Christmas TV Special? Don't really have one
    Favorite Present? A doll called apple jack, back in the 80s
    Favorite Christmas Memory? from my childhood, sitting under the tree, doing a Christmas colouring book.More recently, the delight of our 3 yr old when we brought in the first Christmas tree to our house last year.
    Favorite Christmas Tradition? Holding hands with the kids around the tree and singing carols before they tear into their presents (tradition here in DK, so when in rome...)
    Favorite Christmas Ad? The old Budweiser add with the horses
    Favorite Christmas Food? Mince pies / stuffing/ all the sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Favorite Christmas Movie? National Lampoons with Home Alone/Scrooged a tied second

Favorite Christmas Song? Jaysus so many. Okay It's beginning to look allot like Christmas. I skip Fairytale of New york whenever it comes on as I don't listening to it until the Captain does his bing bong saying that we are coming in to land in Dublin. Im like a goon on the plane.

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Gavin and Stacey

Favorite Present? We only ever used leather balls in training (gaelic and rugby) but one year santa brought real ones. By far my favourite presents.

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke? No idea, I could google one but tis not in the spirit.

Favorite Christmas Memory? Not a specific one but just generally how much effort my folks put into making it special. We only had our bedroom and the living room carpeted for a few years growing up, the rest was floorboard (not fancy ones just as they were constructed) but my Mam particularly made Christmas so magical. I would be sick with excitement.

Favorite Christmas Tradition?
    See above for the fairytale of NY just before we land. But older than that would be that I meet all my pals on the 23rd of Dec on the same pub.We have lived in different corners of the world and its great to meet up. We have a special name for it but its a secret! Announcements are always made that day, there have been two engagements and one baby on the way revealed on the day over the years. This year its on the 22nd for the first time ever due to me not being able to make the 23rd, i feel bad about that.

Favorite Christmas Ad? Guinnesses one.........

Favorite Christmas Food? Ham or any ham based products.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Favorite Christmas Song? Jaysus so many. Okay It's beginning to look allot like Christmas. I skip Fairytale of New york whenever it comes on as I don't listening to it until the Captain does his bing bong saying that we are coming in to land in Dublin. Im like a goon on the plane.

I love this! Deadly little tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »

I've got a similar tradition, only mine is not before Dec 1st. No christmas tunes (or mince pies, normally) before then...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 TheWarmNights

Favorite Christmas Movie? I don’t particularly have a favorite Christmas Movie, but I do enjoy The Grinch and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I really just like the selection of films that are on, such as Harry Potter or The Wizard of Oz (which is always on early Christmas morning!) :P

Favorite Christmas Song? Fairytale Of New York! :D

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Father Ted Christmas Special.

Favorite Present?

Favorite Christmas Memory? I don’t particularly have one that stands out. :( but I love Christmas, so all of them. :D the atmosphere in general. :)

Favorite Christmas Tradition? My family go to 6.30 Mass on Christmas Eve. We then return and get a Chinese (I usually get Singapore noodles! :D ) watch the Father Ted Christmas Special, which is usually on around 11pm on RTE2, while enjoying a glass of Baileys. :D

Favorite Christmas Ad? Guinness, but when the Coca Cola ad begins, you know that we’re almost there. :P

Favorite Christmas Food? All of it and more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Favorite Christmas Movie? Elf

Favorite Christmas Song? Driving Home For Christmas or This Christmas by Funzo

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Gavin and Stacey

Favorite Present? A dolls house my dad made for me, and a wooden Christmas scene my husband had made for me.

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke? What do you get if you cross Santa with a duck? A Christmas Quacker!

Favorite Christmas Memory? Looking through the keyhole of the living room and thinking I saw Santa sitting on the video recorder! It wasn't him. :p

Favorite Christmas Tradition? Driving around to see the Christmas lights with my husband. I usually try to get a video of the more impressive houses and then tell my husband to drive quickly so the people who live there don't see us!

Favorite Christmas Ad? I liked when Kevin the Carrot got excited for the John Lewis ad! So clever.

Favorite Christmas Food? Stuffing. Mounds and mounds of stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Favorite Christmas Movie? Die Hard or Home alone

Favorite Christmas Song? I don't really care for Christmas songs

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Father Ted

Favorite Present? When I was around 4 I got a John deere pedal tractor and a slurry tank. I remember it wasn't in the sitting room when I got up and was so sad then I found it in the kitchen and lost my mind with excitement

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke? What did the fish say when it swam into a wall?
    Dam

Favorite Christmas Memory? The last Christmas before my grandmother died

Favorite Christmas Tradition? Nothing I'd describe as a tradition

Favorite Christmas Ad? Has to be the Budweiser ad with the horses

Favorite Christmas Food? All the food and I mean all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Favorite Christmas Movie? The Muppets' Christmas Carol
    Favorite Christmas Song? Mele Kalikimaka by Bing C.
    Favorite Christmas TV Special? I always enjoy the Outnumbered specials.
    Favorite Present? I got two Care Bears and a Rainbow Brite doll one year. Epic.
    Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke? What's the difference between snowmen and snow women?
    (Snow-balls)
    Favorite Christmas Memory? Walking home after a few drinks with snow falling and happiness and joy in my heart.
    Favorite Christmas Tradition? The hang sangwiches late Christmas Eve.
    Favorite Christmas Ad? Was it a Christmas ad? The ESB one? ♪I think I'm going back, to the place I love so well♪
    Favorite Christmas Food? My Da's potato stuffing and the roast potatoes. Basically any/all potato-based foodstuff.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Favorite Christmas Movie? DIE HARD!!!! And also Home Alone and Polar Express and The Snowman

Favorite Christmas Song? Merry Xmas Everybody, Stop The Cavalry, Carol of The Bells, The Darkness Christmas Song and the Peter Kay one, Lonely Pup in A Christmas Shop, Santa Claus Is Coming to Town (the Bruce Springsteen one), Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, and probably loads more I've forgotten. Oh, and not sure if it counts as a song, but 12 Days of Christmas by Frank Kelly

Favorite Christmas TV Special? Father Ted

Favorite Present? As an adult, my husband and son have gotten me some Newbridge tree decorations that I absolutely adore. As a child it was one of the original nintendo gameboys.

Favorite Christmas Cracker Joke? couldn't pick just one, they're all delightfully sh*te, that's why they're brilliant!

Favorite Christmas Memory? When we were kids, we'd all go round to my grandparents' house at "brunch" time on Christmas morning - my cousins would go too, and we'd all just sit around and exchange gifts and stuff ourselves with h'ors douevres and a massive christmas trifle. My grandparents have passed away, and my cousins have all emigrated meaning it's sometimes years between visits, so I love having that memory of the family all together.

Favorite Christmas Tradition? On Christmas Eve, we go to my parents' house to make the stuffing (a shocking amount is consumed with the Christmas dinner) and we all have specific jobs - I do the chopping of the celery and onions, and then sweat them in the butter. My two sisters and my little boy do the grated lemon zest and dried ingredients, we usually rope my Dad and husband in to chop the parsley, and Mum supervises the whole thing and makes sure we don't burn the house down. There's the ceremonial tasting, and then we get a chipper for dinner. Afterwards myself and the hubby take the youngling to Christmas Eve mass - there's a church that we go to that has a lovely gospel choir, so even though I'm not in the least religious, I actually really enjoy the mass.

Favorite Christmas Ad? Hmmm, I like the Coke ones and the Guinness ones, but I don't really watch TV so wouldn't see the ads.

Favorite Christmas Food? Christmas dinner! Turkey leg, little bit of ham, sprouts, stuffing, bread sauce, potatoes, peas, cranberry sauce and rashers :D

Advertisement