Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to sell Oak trees

Options
  • 19-11-2017 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys, trying to move on some 8-10 year old oak trees, want to make room for some apple trees, and am just wondering what the best option is. I have an additional on done deal and adverts but so far I have had no success. I am considering bring some to a few markets around Sligo but the logistics might hinder this.

Any other suggestions for online sites? Or perhaps people aren't buying trees this early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Have you dug one up yet?. I would think that the tree could be easily damaged if the rootball is disturbed. Would you need machinery to dig, move and plant the rootball + surrounding earth?. Do you know what species of oak you are selling?. Are you confident that you could guarantee that the trees are disease free?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lots of questions

I use a small digger to dig the oak trees up.

Once dug up I would prune off the roots similar to what a nursery would do with machinery to undercut the trees. So they would be sold as bareroot trees.

The species is Quercus robur also called Pedunculate oak. All trees were grown from acorns collected at Tulira Castle,Galway and I still have the paperwork available to show proof of purchase from Coillte.

There maybe a few sessile oak trees amongst them but in general I am keeping all my sessile oaks with the hope of planting 300+ per year out on the land.

Ideally all trees need a stake to help support them except for very small trees up to about 4 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hiya guys, trying to move on some 8-10 year old oak trees, want to make room for some apple trees, and am just wondering what the best option is. I have an additional on done deal and adverts but so far I have had no success. I am considering bring some to a few markets around Sligo but the logistics might hinder this.

Any other suggestions for online sites? Or perhaps people aren't buying trees this early?

what height are they and price?

looking for about 20

JJayoo wrote: »

what height are they and price?

looking for about 20

I have all different heights, if for example you had no problem digging 20 holes and putting down 20 stakes then you could have 20 of the biggest which might be 12-14 foot tall.

Or if a person didn't want to be putting in stakes they could have the smaller trees which might be 3/4 foot. Or any size in between.

For 20 of the biggest ones maybe 150 so 7.50 per tree.

Smaller ones would be cheaper.

I managed to delete all my PMs by accident including an unread message. If someone messaged me today or yesterday could you please send message again, thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement