Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need 2g network sim cards

Options
  • 19-11-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

I need to source sim cards that will operate a system that only supports 2g. can this be done manually by an individual or does the network need to change the setting for specific sim cards?
    basically currently the sim card will only access the 3g/4g network but the machine only functions on 2g. need the sim card to be able to recieve and send text message commands and reports from the machine

any suggestions experience? I believe what I am looking for would be a common enough request for things like home alarm systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any Vodafone or Eir sim should do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Unfortunately not... As I understand it basically, most established mobile networks operate on a mix of older and newer antennas, ranging from GSM, UTMS, 3G, 4G. All the old networks will have the older legacy broadcast formats in place, as well as the newer ones. Generally, the network providers handling software will try latch the device to the most advanced signal type. Unfortunately the current Com modules in the machines are only partially compatible with 3G and 4G, and may, or may not work depending on network and configuration. previous mobile support team reset their antennas for me, it was ejecting the Com signal and forcing it to latch to the next best available signal, and thereafter working fine.

It is tough to get the network to do this and not all of them will do it, for example I tried to get 48 to do it to no avail. Need it on 15-20 sims so wondering is it possible to this myself I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

48 Cant. They dont control the BBUs. And also Three(Who 48 resell) never had their own 2G footprint. They inherited o2s, but itll all be replaced by 3/4G over time.

The UE should be able to report its capabilities during handshake and thus the site controllers wont force it on to an incompatible sector. Same way a 3G only handset doesnt get booted when coming into range of 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

I forgot to mention tried it with a eir sim and didn't work. I'll speak to vodafone and eir and see where I get I suppose. Thanks

Advertisement