Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of ESB substations on new housing development?

Options
  • 19-11-2017 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've recently received contracts for my purchase of a new house on a development in north Dublin. In the contracts the developer reserves the right to locate an ESB substation on the land I will own freehold. They do not give information on proposed substation sites, but do recommend I satisfy myself on this point before signing.

But is there any way I can actually discover this information? The site is fully laid out and approved for planning permission, including agreement for road layouts and water connections, and some houses are completed (and I think occupied). So I'm assuming something must have been considered for substations by this stage. Does anyone have experience of searching for this information? Would I be better off contacting ESB, or my developer?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

What stage is the development at ? Reason I ask is that it would be very clear to see the site layout if all the foundations are in. The “substation” you speak of is actually called a unit sub and the foundation details are easily found on ESB Networks site. You will basically see a concrete slab roughly 6 foot by 4 foot with a chamber at the front where all the ducting will terminate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EllaMunro

Thank you both for your replies!

Victor This is very helpful information, thank you. They do use the term substation, but I think the mid-terrace plot I am buying would be too small for anything that large.

The planning reference is F17A/0552 on the Fingal County Council website (sorry I'm not allowed to post the link).
    I am looking at Muileann Close in phase 2.

LuckySasha The last time I was there there were no signs of foundations, but that was about a month ago so it would probably be wise to do another visit – I will look out for what you have described, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/electrical-services-guidebook-for-housing-schemes.pdf?sfvrsn=4
    EllaMunro wrote: »
    Victor This is very helpful information, thank you. They do use the term substation, but I think the mid-terrace plot I am buying would be too small for anything that large.
    If you are mid-terrace, is this going in your front garden?

Are you receiving a discount for having this on your property?

I imagine ESB will want to own the land.

Talk to your solicitor.

The term substation is generic to any ESB installation that can transform voltage from a high level to a low level. In your case it’s a unit sub from 10/20kv to 380v basically the bog standard big green ESB box you will see in any housing estate. So I wouldn’t be too worried that they are going to build a massive 5 acres substation in your garden lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It may be that the developer doesn’t really think there will be a substation there at all. He might be just covering himself in case ESB decide to install something there. He may have agreed something with ESB which gives them very broad rights to put whatever they want wherever they want.

Someone else will have better knowledge but by and large you would expect a substation near a corner, not mid-terrace. They could put a pedestal there if course, but this is no big deal.

It may be that the developer doesn’t really think there will be a substation there at all. He might be just covering himself in case ESB decide to install something there. He may have agreed something with ESB which gives them very broad rights to put whatever they want wherever they want.

Someone else will have better knowledge but by and large you would expect a substation near a corner, not mid-terrace. They could put a pedestal there if course, but this is no big deal.

Completely disagree. The location of all ESB equipment has to be agreed at development stage when the developers apply for connection to the local ESB network. This is insisted by ESB so that the local EOs (engineering officers) can work out routes, cable sizes, number of unit subs and mini pillars etc etc. Even down to which local HV switching Station the development will be connected to. Coming along afterward and oh sure we will stick a unit sub here” is completely farcical. This would lead to finished roads and footpaths being dug up and cable ducting re run and not to mention supply interruptions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I agree that ESB will do it this way. Changing the arrangement from the plan would be farcical. But still, the developer may well be covering himself.

Advertisement