Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most colourful Irish accents?

Options
  • 19-11-2017 12:05am

Just realised in listening to Met Éireann's Gerry Murphy from Monaghan on the Late Late Show that the Monaghan accent sounds sophisticated compared to... the Cavan accent.

I surmised everything became wilder the further north of Navan you went but, no, it seems the wildness reaches a crescendo in the Cavan accent, by far the funniest and most colourful accent in all four corners of Ireland. I love those wild fúckers and the way they eat words and spit them out so mellifluously. It's rooted, right there in that place.

As if to highlight the ineffable beauty of local accents, the Late Late visited a school in Kildare and all the chislers had this same Anglo-American accent straight from, like, tv, like. That loss of colour and sense of place that a local Irish accent gives makes me sad.

PS: Congratulations to Prime Time the other night, broadcasting from coincidentally enough Cavan about local crime. They brought in a self-described "security expert" and sure enough he had a... Dublin accent. hehe.

What's your favourite Irish accent and why? Or do you wish we all had that, like, mid-Atlantic accent?

Comments

Advertisement