Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Data Tutorials?

Options
  • 18-11-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Has anyone done and can recommend any online tutorials on any Big Data technologies? I'm looking for something hands on that would allow you to start writing code ASAP, in perhaps one of the more recent big data languages (e.g. Pig, Hive). I've done a number of "tutorials" that were purely theoretical and I found these of no use whatsoever.
    If possible, I'd like a tutorial that can be done using a windows machine with preferably as little configuration work as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Well step 1 is usually to install linux. Windows support is lousy for many of the packages involved. You could use windows as a client but the actual code runs on linux.

Try a managed offering like hdinsight: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/hdinsight/information-request/ This can give you spark+hdfs all setup with no configuration.

Or you could download the hortonworks image and run it as a vm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Are you talking about analysing the data or adminning it? Microsoft has an R installation which you can get up and running. Otherwise take a look at some of the coursera and udacity stuff because afaik they can be quite handson.

It's really worth answering the question "what do I want to do with this" before going looking for tutorial stuff. Big data, which is a term I absolutely despise, covers a multitude. I wound up looking at machine learning when I started that journey for example. I think you need to drill down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Calina wrote: »
    Are you talking about analysing the data or adminning it? Microsoft has an R installation which you can get up and running. Otherwise take a look at some of the coursera and udacity stuff because afaik they can be quite handson.

It's really worth answering the question "what do I want to do with this" before going looking for tutorial stuff. Big data, which is a term I absolutely despise, covers a multitude. I wound up looking at machine learning when I started that journey for example. I think you need to drill down a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, I'd be more interested in using the data for analysis. At work, I do a lot of ETL for data warehouses and some analytics work. So I'm primarily looking to up-skill, as I figure I'll eventually need to anyways for my line of work. I'll take a look at those courses you mentioned and I'll look at the R installation as well. I've used R a bit at work before but I always feel rusty at it for a short period when I start using it again.

Advertisement