Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Opera House

Options
  • 17-11-2017 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭

Am I the only person Outraged by this?

Thousands of Homeless people living rough,
    Nowhere to shelter them,

But the EU thinks it justifiable to give an €85million grant to Limerick to build an Opera House!!!

I am sure that the many families living in temporary hotel accommodation, or the unfortunate few living rough on the streets must really appreciate the cultural influx in Limerick!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Nowhere to shelter them,

But the EU thinks it justifiable to give an €85million grant to Limerick to build an Opera House!!!

I am sure that the many families living in temporary hotel accommodation, or the unfortunate few living rough on the streets must really appreciate the cultural influx in Limerick!!

Not sure if serious??!!??
    Did you read past the headline.
    It's not an opera house.
    It's a mix of retail, business, dwelling and cultural .
    I suppose Opera sounds posher than Shannon Side.
    Could've called it Stab Central of course, in keeping with its cultural/ historic links

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I don't think we necessarily have a homeless problem. We have a housing problem.

The issue is that having a shortage of housing is good for NAMA, landlords and people in negative equity. And the policy that is being pursued currently is to benefit this group of people.

We need to build a lot more houses. And it will be this governments biggest stain if they don't get it done fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nowhere to shelter them,

Love it!

After Hours Whispers News.

This thread must have been started in response to the thread claiming AH was no craic any more.

Can't the homeless be given half price tix?

I think that is a fair compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

"The worker must have bread, but she must have roses, too."

I'm more outraged by the fact there isn't free chocolate in my workplace. I mean, it's nearly Christmas. Chocolate should be everywhere.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Love it!

After Hours Whispers News.

This thread must have been started in response to the thread claiming AH was no craic any more.

Can't the homeless be given half price tix?

I think that is a fair compromise.

AH is not bad this morning, the posters with the tedious paranoia about women and the racists seem to be asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Is there any conversation had about anything anymore that doesn't turn into a homeless discussion.

Super news for Limerick that this is being completed. It will give the city an unbelievable shot in the arm.

Iang87 wrote: »
    Is there any conversation had about anything anymore that doesn't turn into a homeless discussion.

Super news for Limerick that this is being completed. It will give the city an unbelievable shot in the arm.

But you also need a few vegan restaurants and they type of people who grow kifer grains for the fully rounded urban regeneration experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's not a fcuking grant, it's a 25 year loan!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give a source OP so I don't have to google it myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

An opera house in limerick, it would close within a year.

OP read through the article and actually find out what the opera house is. This is great news for Limerick to finally get this finished and get rid of the current eyesore that stands in the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

any pun intended?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

St. Nessan dorma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Every discussion seems to turn into a homelessness issue, it's a serious problem granted but it's not going to get sorted overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

jamesbere wrote: »
    Every discussion seems to turn into a homelessness issue, it's a serious problem granted but it's not going to get sorted overnight.

And certainly not in After fucking Hours.

So a new business and leisure venue that would give employment and stimulate the economy, as well as being a visual asset to the landscape has the OP outraged? These are the elements that tackle homelessness indirectly, and benefit the entire community as it does so.

Also, can't believe someone voluntarily used the word outraged to describe how they're feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Things can't stop just because we have homeless or a housing issue. I refuse to describe it as a crisis. The word is attached to everything and eventually loses its worth.
    New buildings are needed in cities. Life can't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Good. Limerick is the probably the most neglected city in the country. Everywhere else gets culture events and hubs that attract visitors.
    Limerick has **** all that really draws people in. Its stuck between Cork and Galway who are very good at shouting about themselves and attracting tourists. Limericks reputation as a cultural and economic wasteland certainly isn't helping the homeless problem there.

Advertisement