Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 racing calendar

Options
  • 16-11-2017 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

The intention is to keep the big races where they sat last year but with a first weekend in March start and early Easter will there be a bunching of some really big races very early in the 18 season?

I'm thinking 3 weeks in is the Des Hanlon usually then trying to fit Visit Nenagh the following week before Ras Mumhan or possibly the week after?

When is the earliest indication of the following years racing calendar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Will be interesting to see where the Lacey cup will fit, even if short it is a classic.

Or if there will be a rollback on the Mar 1 start. I suspect a lot will come down to race organizers buying into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    The intention is to keep the big races where they sat last year but with a first weekend in March start and early Easter will there be a bunching of some really big races very early in the 18 season?

I'm thinking 3 weeks in is the Des Hanlon usually then trying to fit Visit Nenagh the following week before Ras Mumhan or possibly the week after?

When is the earliest indication of the following years racing calendar?

The AGM motion Re the new rule regarding Established Race Dates would have delayed the publishing of Calender. Should be out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fanboii

2017 calendar came out around 21st of December so I'd imagine sometime around then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looking at last years calendar, it will be the moving of 6 races. It will be interesting to see whether those clubs put them on at the dead part of the season as wanted by the proposers or if they will just disappear.

On a seperate note, I didn't agree with the decision, I just didn't see the point, the weather is not that much better in March and I think there is a reason that no one wanted to say about races in August. People are on holidays, family time, club motivation to get members out. All in all, I just didn't see the point.

No one in my club agreed (bar one) but that is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭wav1

The cut off date for event applications is this Sunday 19th..Calender of events will be worked on in the next few weeks..Draft ready circa second week in December..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭wav1

Will be interesting to see where the Lacey cup will fit, even if short it is a classic.

Or if there will be a rollback on the Mar 1 start. I suspect a lot will come down to race organizers buying into it.
    Wont be a rollback..Its Sat March 3rd kickoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looking at last years calendar, it will be the moving of 6 races. It will be interesting to see whether those clubs put them on at the dead part of the season as wanted by the proposers or if they will just disappear.

On a seperate note, I didn't agree with the decision, I just didn't see the point, the weather is not that much better in March and I think there is a reason that no one wanted to say about races in August. People are on holidays, family time, club motivation to get members out. All in all, I just didn't see the point.

No one in my club agreed (bar one) but that is another story.

I see the logic and agree with it. Mar 1st may not be much better weather wise than mid February but mid March in general is. If they went straight to starting mid March there would be a lot more than 6 races affected. But these could be the first steps towards a more sensible season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I see the logic and agree with it. Mar 1st may not be much better weather wise than mid February but mid March in general is. If they went straight to starting mid March there would be a lot more than 6 races affected. But these could be the first steps towards a more sensible season.

If they get put on at the quiet end of the season, it will be great and I hope it works, suppose we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stoaty

Is the season going to start this weekend with weather given down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭budgie001

Stoaty wrote: »
    Is the season going to start this weekend with weather given down ?
    You have put a similar question on every race due this weekend I see........... while there are forecasts nobody has a crystal ball, so its a case of lets see how it pans out. Too early to call at this point

• Advertisement
Advertisement