Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat Infestation in house

Options
  • 16-11-2017 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Article in the Independent - Watch: 'I'm afraid for my kids' lives' - Family forced into one room as rat infestation takes over their home

This annoys me. It's making the front page of the Independent but the solution is simple:

1. They know where the rats are coming in. Buy a new vent and replace the old one. Probably €20
    2. Buy some poison to kill what's left in the house. Storm is less than €20 for a kilo and is very strong.

If things are as bad as they say €40 would probably sort it. Yes the landlord i.e. the council in this case should sort it but I wouldn't be "afraid for my kids' lives'" for the sake of some effort and a small outlay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Leinster house will need a lot more than that to clear it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Leinster house will need a lot more than that to clear it out.

LOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

News? Sensationalist?

Well I never!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Would the rats be coming in if there wasn’t something around for them to eati?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm getting weary of the poor and their tales of woe

Can nothing be done with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I hate rats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You you go as far as to say it's a crisis ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

People are getting lazier and dumber. Which leads to brain donors like this sponging off people who actually have removed their finger and work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Would the rats be coming in if there wasn’t something around for them to eati?

Exactly. Would be interesting to see how many have bins in the housing estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We get rats coming in the house every winter as soon as the temperature drops. We can here them at night running around in the roof for a few days before the results of the rat bait kick in.

Just checked the bait station in the roof last night and it needs topping up as they've eating 5 blocks of Storm. Big deal we live in the country with animals and feed around the place and the rats like it warm so they are bound to come in.

If they are in a town house I dread to think the state of the place if the rats are finding enough food to eat. At home here its over generous feeding of our chickens the seems to attract them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭glaswegian

aye,it's those bloody poor people again having the neck to have food thats causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

poor family. I hate hate hate rats ugh just even thought of them has me all jittery and anxious. Can't imagine having them in your kitchen near your food or hearing scuttering while you're trying to get to sleep

Even though I feel bad for them I find all the jabs at 'the council' seriously irritating. It is in no way their fault nor is it their responsibility..but of course in ireland everything is the governments fault

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

wakka12 wrote: »
    poor family. I hate hate hate rats ugh just even thought of them has me all jittery and anxious. Can't imagine having them in your kitchen near your food or hearing scuttering while you're trying to get to sleep

They gnaw on the walls and scratch always scratching

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Getting a couple of terriers would sort that out.

mojesius wrote: »
    Getting a couple of terriers would sort that out.

Then the terriers who've been chewing on rats all day give the little kids a big lick on the face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Then the terriers who've been chewing on rats all day give the little kids a big lick on the face

Good for building a strong immune system!

There's always rats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Would no one thi k of the childers? They have such inept parents :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Article in the Independent - Watch: 'I'm afraid for my kids' lives' - Family forced into one room as rat infestation takes over their home

This annoys me. It's making the front page of the Independent but the solution is simple:

1. They know where the rats are coming in. Buy a new vent and replace the old one. Probably €20
    2. Buy some poison to kill what's left in the house. Storm is less than €20 for a kilo and is very strong.

If things are as bad as they say €40 would probably sort it. Yes the landlord i.e. the council in this case should sort it but I wouldn't be "afraid for my kids' lives'" for the sake of some effort and a small outlay.

Now and again we've had mice and rats in the house over the years. We put down traps, few dead mice/rats later we had none. Seeing as those rats pictured aren't wearing balaclavas and carrying armalites, I'm a bit confused as to why they haven't done similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

kona wrote: »
    People are getting lazier and dumber. Which leads to brain donors like this sponging off people who actually have removed their finger and work

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Kill the poor and feed them to the hungry. Two problems solved in one.

Just looking at the video attached to that article - those rats are what my dear late granny used to refer to as big mothafuckin' bastards. For a start, there's too much stuff in that little garden for rats to hide behind or crawl under. Rats don't like wide open spaces. They need to find somewhere else to put the bins and then move the oil tank right up against the wall, so they can't hide behind it. And then power-wash and disinfect the whole place. And what's that wire coming out of the vent for? That needs to go too. Replace the vent, cover it with wire mesh and they rats can no longer get into the house. I'm surprised the council and the pest control experts didn't do all of this.

I had a mouse infestation a few years ago and managed to sort it out with a combination of cheap poison from Woodies, wire mesh, brillo pads, disinfectant and a harshly worded letter, warning them not to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Im curious to hear the thoughts of the die hard vegetarians out there on the subject eating rats?

Would you be offended at the thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

lightspeed wrote: »
    Im curious to hear the thoughts of the die hard vegetarians out there on the subject eating rats?

Would you be offended at the thought?

Tastes like chicken....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have a modest proposal ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

D3V!L wrote: »
    You you go as far as to say it's a crisis ??
    Yes I would Kent.

glaswegian wrote: »
    aye,it's those bloody poor people again having the neck to have food thats causing the problem.
    The criticism of them is the way they're not bothering to do anything to sort it out themselves (just going to the paper instead, meanwhile the danger of what they're being exposed to increases) - it's the council's/government's fault. Nobody should ever take responsibility for themselves - "can't someone else do it?" (Simpsons predicting the future again). Who said anything in relation to their income (apart from ye)? Strawman.

Shur we all have food obviously. More attention to waste disposal and crumbs falling is needed if there's enough to attract rats.
    Even though I feel bad for them I find all the jabs at 'the council' seriously irritating. It is in no way their fault nor is it their responsibility..but of course in ireland everything is the governments fault
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don’t really understand why they don’t sort it themselves.

I live in a rented house (not council) and we had rats a few year ago. They were coming in through a hole behind our washing machine and coming into the cupboards that we store cleaning products in under the sink. There was a small bag of dog treats in there, that’s what they came in for I guess. We killed 4 of them with traps.

Anyway, we let the landlady know that we would sort it ourselves and if it didn’t work we would let her know. So we pulled out the washing machine and filled the hole they made with loads of wire mesh and covered with it expanding foam. Never had trouble since. Cost a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Would the rats be coming in if there wasn’t something around for them to eati

This. It's always this. Find the food source and you will sort out the rats.
    Find the food source.

Advertisement