Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management to Scrum Master

Options
  • 16-11-2017 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

There may be a situation for me where I could be asked to internally move from my entry level management role to an agile scrum master role. Nothing concrete yet but I'm trying to understand the pros and cons. I've been in management for over 2 years and was a senior developer before that.

I have a few initial views but wanted to ask here what people thought. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

That's what I've doing right now, one of the challenges seems to be how much of the agile philosophy your company has bought into. There's no purists where I work which suits me actually.

So I'm a mix of more traditional project management and scrum master at the moment. I need to do more training on the scrum side and get more buy in from other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

What type of management are you doing at the moment? Did you move from Senior Engineer to Engineering Manager or was the step into management a complete change of focus?

I work in a small company so the 3 roles you mention (Senior Engineer, Engineering Manager and Scrum Master) have a lot of overlap. Is it the same in your organisation or are they 3 completely different tracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed reply.

I'm in engineering manager so responsible for oversight on projects, initiatives and resource management - developers and QA report directly to me.

The management position opened after me being in the company less than a year and senior management asked me if I was interested and if I was, they strongly encouraged me to apply.

The Scrum Master role is a new one in this company so people are still getting used to it. In the past year several people at my level and a level above have been asked to move into it, all (as far as I am aware) took the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed reply.

I'm in engineering manager so responsible for oversight on projects, initiatives and resource management - developers and QA report directly to me.

The management position opened after me being in the company less than a year and senior management asked me if I was interested and if I was, they strongly encouraged me to apply.

The Scrum Master role is a new one in this company so people are still getting used to it. In the past year several people at my level and a level above have been asked to move into it, all (as far as I am aware) took the offer.

Thanks for the info. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out what the proposed change is.

How would the scrum role differ from your current setup? Is the proposal that you would still be leading the same group but using a different methodology? Or is the proposed move into a different role in the organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Adding to John_C's questions: Who do the scrum masters report too? Would it be your current role?

• Advertisement
Advertisement